New York

Ring appraisals

I was hoping one of you lovely ladies would know of some good jewelers or appraisers for getting my engagement ring appraised so I can insure it and resized. It was my fiance's grandmothers original engagement ring and it's very sentimental to him, so I want to cover myself. 

I live in Geneva, and the only jeweler here is asking way too much for an appraisal. I'm willing to travel out to Syracuse for this, since that's where I grew up and my parents still live there/I go there all the time. 

I was under the impression that appraisals might be offered free, but I guess I am jaded and mistaken. Have any of you had rings appraised/who have you used/how much did it cost/how long do the keep it? I need my ring sized down too, so I'll have to part with it for a days for that as well. Some place that does both would be great. Under $100 is also a perk. One place in Geneva quoted $70 for the resize, which seemed reasonable, but they were going out of business and I never took them up on it. 
                                                                              Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Ring appraisals

• Did you try Hessney's for the appraisal? I know they aren't a jeweler, but they deal with enough jewelry that they should be able to do an appraisal for you.

Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • I got my ring at Diana's Jewlers in Liverpool.  I'm not sure of the pricing for appraisal/resizing, but they resized my ring pretty quickly and I'm pretty sure they do appraisals and for Jeweler's Mutual (which depending on the plan can cover even if lost or stolen... but I'm not sure that all plans allow for that).  The price for the insuranace was very low per a year, and I thought very good price for what the amount it covers for my ring is.  I'm sure you can call for more information; they were very helpful.  Good luck!
    My Attempted Wedding Blog - http://aroseywedding.blogspot.com/
  • If you don't mind driving to Rochester, go to Palazzo Jewelers. They've been in business for decades. I've seen many custom pieces Gabe made! He is the best!
  • My appraisal in NYC cost $110 dollars if that helps in terms of pricing. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards