New York

First Dance??

FI came to me the other day with a song he'd like to do our first dance to, and I'm not totally sold yet- A Woman Like You by Lee Brice. He's a big country fan, and it's actually a really sweet song but in true country fashion it mentions things like bud light and fried chicken which I don't love for our first dance. BUT, he told me that it brought a tear to his eye so how can I say no to that?? Really if it's special to him that's what should matter, and frankly he's a bud light and fried chicken kinda guy which is what I love about him. Has anyone heard this song? What do you think? Should I worry about the superficial stuff?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: First Dance??

• I've never heard the song but if it means something to him, it might be worth going with it. My FI keep sending me songs he likes- they are all breakup songs! He is obviuosly not listening to the words, and probably most people won't be either, but I just CANNOT have our first dance be a breakup song! What a goof! The song search continues!
  • Hahaha that's funny, I can't blame you that might be some bad mojo. The song search is tough....frankly I hate being the center of attention so I'm having anxiety over the first dance thing as a whole. And the walking down the aisle thing.....why didn't we opt for a courthouse wedding?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I always thought the first song should be something that is special to both of you, or at least is something you both could relate to?? Our first dance song is 'From Where You Are' by Lifehouse.. we listened to it when we were apart for awhile just after we started dating. Granted, it's not a happy song, but it's "our" song in a weird way.

If you are OK with the country song, I say go for it! But if it's something you really want to be memorable, maybe find another song that you can both compromise on.

image 131 invited image 120 are ready to party! image 11 will miss the festivities! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh don't get me wrong, I really like the song I'm just not sure for our first dance. I just think I'm skeptical for superficial reasons....like "what will other people think"....which is pretty uncharacteristic of me. The song is about a man who would "take a gold band on my hand over being a single man".....which is the important part.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh! I see what you're saying... well, if it makes you feel any better, my song is dedicated to teen driver crash victims, although I had no idea about this until recently. I'm not sure I can even get that out of my head now, as I'm mildly disturbed. It always meant that we truly missed each other when we weren't together.. I never heard it as a morbid song.

But at the same time, everyone will be looking at you and not necessarily listening to the details of your song lyrics. If it's OK with both of you, why not?
    image 131 invited image 120 are ready to party! image 11 will miss the festivities! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't want everyone staring at us either so I am trying to find songs under 3 minutes! So my criteria has now become under 3 min and not a breakup song. Should be a lot easier than it is!!

I guess I would definitely keep the country song on the table. Maybe you'll both find and agree on something you like better, if not you know it will make him happy so stick with it! There are so few things my FI really has a strong opinion about with the wedding that I take his suggestions where I can!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_first-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:621Discussion:e08beb23-e5ad-4a93-8e6f-7ad417ea5686Post:70de314f-f492-4b06-b249-3a1ef2d1fd94">Re: First Dance??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't want everyone staring at us either so I am trying to find songs under 3 minutes! So my criteria has now become under 3 min and not a breakup song. Should be a lot easier than it is!! I guess I would definitely keep the country song on the table. Maybe you'll both find and agree on something you like better, if not you know it will make him happy so stick with it! <strong>There are so few things my FI really has a strong opinion about with the wedding that I take his suggestions where I can!
    </strong>Posted by kpdorr[/QUOTE]

Exactly! I just thought it was cute that he cared enough to have an opinion, so I think we're going to go with it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards