New York
Options

Divorced uncles and ex-aunts

I need your opinion

So two of my uncles are divorced, but their early 20s kids each live with their moms (my ex-aunts). I haven't had much of a relationship with these ex-aunts and I doubt they would actually come to my wedding, which is 4 hours away. However, I am inviting my cousins who live with them and these ex-aunts have been invited to other cousin's weddings. My mom is also an "ex-aunt" and has been invited to at least one wedding. Should I invite them, expecially since an invite will already be coming to their house?

p.s. I asked my parents and their response was "invite whoever you want"
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Divorced uncles and ex-aunts

• Options
    raes19raes19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you aren't close to them, I wouldn't worry about inviting them. Their children are adults and can be invited somewhere without their mothers needing to be there.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kpdorrkpdorr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I invited my ex aunt because my cousin said it would mean so much to her mom if I did. I mean, she is still my aunt even though we haven't been in touch much. My rule of thumb was if I was on the fence about a  person, but I thought they would genuinely want to celebrate with us if they could- I invited them. That being said, I don't think you HAVE to invite them by any means!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Do they get along cordially with the rest of the family or is there bad blood?

If they are still friendly with the rest of the family, I would invite them.  Even if you don't talk much now... if you grew up knowing them as your Aunt, I'm sure they would enjoy celebrating with you (or at least being in the loop on the festivities).

If you think it would cause drama, I would avoid it and just send the invite to the adult children (cousins).
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    MCTD31MCTD31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am not inviting my ex-aunt, but I never really had a close relationship with her even when she was married to my uncle. I am inviting her kids, also in their early 20s, but I don't even know if they live with her. I don't know where she lives. I'm just addressing my uncle's invite "& family". I know etiquette says that adult children should get their own invitation but oh well. My invite policy has always been if I haven't seen or spoken to you in the past year or two, then you don't need to be at my wedding. I want it to be a day to celebrate with people who are an important and active part of my life.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the input. I think that I'm not going to invite them because we have a tight budget and it's not going to cause too much drama. At most it will be a grumble. lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards