New York-Western

String quartet?

Anyone know of any good string quartets that will play in weddings in Buffalo? While I'm not exactly sophisticated when it comes to music, I used to play violin in high school and I can tell when a piece is played well or not. I've already inquired in a few places. Classic String Quartet in Toronto doesn't travel to Buffalo. Clinton String Quartet in Syracuse is already booked for my wedding (on 5/29/10!). Buffalo Strings Quartet may be available but based on their music clips, they are not quite the caliber of the first two I mentioned.Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Re: String quartet?

• WNYfanWNYfan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using the String Brothers, as they were recommended by someone else.  Also, Kevin has been really great with helping us out, as we're planning from out of town.  They have lots of options, which was good as we could only afford about 2 musicians (decided on a violin and cello).  http://www.stringbrothers.com/We also picked them after trying to work with the Presto String Quartet...we traveled to WNY for a visit home and I had been going back and forth with them to meet them and hear them play (they didn't have clips for me to hear otherwise), and all of a sudden the day before our planned meeting she just stopped contacting me.  Unprofessional to say the least.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Hey Ladies - I'm so glad that you brought this up since this may be a good thing to look into next now that I have the reception / ceremony site set! Before I email to ask the availabilities of the string quartets, do you mind telling me what their price ranges were? Also, one other idea I thought of was call the local music programs at local universities (my younger sister's best friend goes to Eastman in Rochester)...depending on the date of your wedding, you may be able to have college students available to play, or maybe even the professors?
  • WNYfanWNYfan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sure thing... String Brothers:$145 per musician for duos or largergroups.  Solo artists are available for $195I think the Presto String Quartet was around $100 per musician, but I wouldn't go with them simply because they dropped off the face of the earth when communicating about a meeting time.I was pretty happy with the price for String Brothers - most others I looked at were more than that. Initially I got a lot of interest by posting my need on Craigslist.  Good luck!
  • MelissaSue81MelissaSue81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used docenkos.. They are a part of a couple different groups there is a quartet and a trio (they go by different names as well, but i can't remember them as of this moment.. it might be in my bio?)
    Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • MelissaSue81MelissaSue81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ahh.. It was.. even though I don't have a clue why my knot bio doesn't show here anymore. Richmond String Quartet.
    Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • Shawna628Shawna628 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    STRING BROTHERS all the way! Excellent :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards