New York-Western
Options

make-up artist

Hi,
I was looking for someone to do my wedding and was wondering if anyone has heard of Michelle Sperazz?  She does airbrushing and will travel.  Any opinions or reviews?
Thanks in advance.

Re: make-up artist

• Options
    deecee79deecee79 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have heard multiple good recommendations for her, her name keeps popping up, sadly she books REALLY fast so if your on the fence email her and find out if she's available first and then do a trial.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, I did book her and can't wait for my trial. It sounds awesome.
  • Options
    raeoleraeole member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    can i please have her information?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Her website is www.michellesperazz.com .  She is supposed to be excellent, good luck with it.
  • Options
    redpntredpnt member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to make-up artist:

HIGHLY UNRELIABLE!  BOOK AT YOUR OWN RISK!  After doing a fair bit of research last summer, Michelle and I signed a contract in late July/early August of 2011 for my wedding in June of 2012.  That contract included an agreed upon appointment time for makeup applications that day.  Michelle advertises that she books on a "first come, first serve basis" so I booked early to be sure that I could have her there when I needed her -- our makeup would be fresh and ready for the ceremony, last through the evening, and the photographer would be there for the "getting ready" photos. 

For nine months, I felt secure and confident about the booking and our contract -- and I felt confident that Michelle would provide the services we booked at the time that was written in the contract.  However, the third week in April, two months before my wedding, I received an e-mail from Michelle stating "I'm going to need to change the time for your wedding day...I'm going to need to make it earlier. Can you be flexible that morning?"  My wedding is at 4PM and the make-up applications were scheduled for the afternoon, so the phrase "that morning" had me a bit concerned, but I politely reminded her why we scheduled for the time we did in the contract (reasons which included the ceremony's start time and being sure that the photographer would be there for "getting ready" photos).  Michelle responded a day and a half later and declared that since it was "just" me and a regular makeup application (my mother), she had to change the appointment time to 9:00AM (for a 4:00PM wedding!).  The booking was "just" for the two of us because we have chosen not to have a bridal party.  Michelle continued, "because you are not willing to be flexible with me I'm going to have to refund your deposit and cancel with you if you can't do the 9:00 time slot."  Aside from being contrary to our contract, this time was totally unreasonable since a regular make-up application probably wouldn't even last until the ceremony, let alone through the evening, if it were done SEVEN HOURS before the event!  As if that weren't upsetting enough, her ego then reared it's ugly head as she continued, "I have many brides just waiting to book me that day and would be flexible just to have me do their makeup."  So, apparently I wasn't supposed to give a damn about our contract and was supposed to be grateful that she was willing to do our makeup at all!  She then claimed that "any salon would have to do the same thing to run a business." I have NEVER been to a salon or spa anywhere in the world that did not honor their appointment times.  

Michelle's written statements made it clear that she had already or was about to book a more financially lucrative job that conflicted with my appointment time and so she was tossing our agreement aside in order to take the bigger payout!  She had her own financial interests firmly in mind, but she did not care at all about her previous commitment to me or my needs.  

So, She clearly does NOT book on a first come, first served basis.  Rather, she is willing to toss previous commitments and contracts out completely if she gets a better offer later!  After learning all of this the hard way, I realized I would never want to work with someone with such poor business ethics anyway.  Straightaway, and in a bit of a panic, I scrambled to find another airbrush make-up artist a mere two months before my wedding day and was fortunate enough to find that, as fate would have it, my other top choice artist was (quite surprisingly) still available on my wedding day!  Actually, it was the ONLY day she WAS still available!  Her training and portfolio/resume is equally impressive and I did not book with her originally only because she was going to be a bit more expensive.  This time around, choosing reliability over money savings, I booked her right away -- and she will remain on hand from the appointment time until I depart for my ceremony on my wedding day, just in case we need her for anything.

I told her the next day (Saturday) that since she was not willing to honor our contract, I did indeed want my deposit refunded.  I told her that under the circumstances, I expected the refund to be postmarked and in the mail by the following Monday.  It was, and I received it promptly.  She might screw you service-wise, but she at least isn't a thief.

• Options
    In Response to make-up artist:

HIGHLY UNRELIABLE!  BOOK AT YOUR OWN RISK!  After doing a fair bit of research last summer, Michelle and I signed a contract in late July/early August of 2011 for my wedding in June of 2012.  That contract included an agreed upon appointment time for makeup applications that day.  Michelle advertises that she books on a "first come, first serve basis" so I booked early to be sure that I could have her there when I needed her -- our makeup would be fresh and ready for the ceremony, last through the evening, and the photographer would be there for the "getting ready" photos. 

For nine months, I felt secure and confident about the booking and our contract -- and I felt confident that Michelle would provide the services we booked at the time that was written in the contract.  However, the third week in April, two months before my wedding, I received an e-mail from Michelle stating "I'm going to need to change the time for your wedding day...I'm going to need to make it earlier. Can you be flexible that morning?"  My wedding is at 4PM and the make-up applications were scheduled for the afternoon, so the phrase "that morning" had me a bit concerned, but I politely reminded her why we scheduled for the time we did in the contract (reasons which included the ceremony's start time and being sure that the photographer would be there for "getting ready" photos).  Michelle responded a day and a half later and declared that since it was "just" me and a regular makeup application (my mother), she had to change the appointment time to 9:00AM (for a 4:00PM wedding!).  The booking was "just" for the two of us because we have chosen not to have a bridal party.  Michelle continued, "because you are not willing to be flexible with me I'm going to have to refund your deposit and cancel with you if you can't do the 9:00 time slot."  Aside from being contrary to our contract, this time was totally unreasonable since a regular make-up application probably wouldn't even last until the ceremony, let alone through the evening, if it were done SEVEN HOURS before the event!  As if that weren't upsetting enough, her ego then reared it's ugly head as she continued, "I have many brides just waiting to book me that day and would be flexible just to have me do their makeup."  So, apparently I wasn't supposed to give a damn about our contract and was supposed to be grateful that she was willing to do our makeup at all!  She then claimed that "any salon would have to do the same thing to run a business." I have NEVER been to a salon or spa anywhere in the world that did not honor their appointment times.  

Michelle's written statements made it clear that she had already or was about to book a more financially lucrative job that conflicted with my appointment time and so she was tossing our agreement aside in order to take the bigger payout!  She had her own financial interests firmly in mind, but she did not care at all about her previous commitment to me or my needs.  

So, She clearly does NOT book on a first come, first served basis.  Rather, she is willing to toss previous commitments and contracts out completely if she gets a better offer later!  After learning all of this the hard way, I realized I would never want to work with someone with such poor business ethics anyway.  Straightaway, and in a bit of a panic, I scrambled to find another airbrush make-up artist a mere two months before my wedding day and was fortunate enough to find that, as fate would have it, my other top choice artist was (quite surprisingly) still available on my wedding day!  Actually, it was the ONLY day she WAS still available!  Her training and portfolio/resume is equally impressive and I did not book with her originally only because she was going to be a bit more expensive.  This time around, choosing reliability over money savings, I booked her right away -- and she will remain on hand from the appointment time until I depart for my ceremony on my wedding day, just in case we need her for anything.

I told her the next day (Saturday) that since she was not willing to honor our contract, I did indeed want my deposit refunded.  I told her that under the circumstances, I expected the refund to be postmarked and in the mail by the following Monday.  It was, and I received it promptly.  She might screw you service-wise, but she at least isn't a thief.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards