New York-Western

Having trouble with the father daughter dance...

I do not want those songs you always hear
butterfly kisses, my little girl, you know what i am talking about .

My dad and I have a really special relationship, that I do not exactly know how do describe, but I will do my best.
My parents have been divorced since i can remember, but they got along fine, he worked a lot so so I did not see him all the time but I did still see him a lot. he was the one that would take me on the camping trips and the road trips, to the amusment park and all that stuff. I have always been the princess too though, daddy's little girl playing dress up with my barbies.
I have two younger siblings but they have a different mother (also divorced) and live out of state so my dad and i have a closer relationship.
but we have also butt heads big time here and there as well.
I feel like I am strong willed, and do not give up, because of my dad, and he means a lot to me and not being able to find a special song is driving me insane.

Any ides?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Having trouble with the father daughter dance...

• AeroStyleAeroStyle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Butterfly Kisses=yuck

What about "You've Got a Friend" by James Taylor?
  • degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There was a thread a while back that listed everyone choices for father daughter dances, I would suggest you try that and google search. I gave my dad a CD with a bunch of songs on it and let him choose. He was of course allowed to choose any song not on the CD but this gave him some opinions.

He ended up choosing Tough Little Boys by Gary Allen. It fit who he was and really was the perfect song for us.

Some of the other songs were, My Little Girl- Tim McGraw, Won't Be Like This For Long- Darius Rucker, Stealing Cinderella- Chuck Wicks, The Way You Look Tonight- Frank Sintria, Wonderful Tonight- Eric Clapton, Wonderful World- Nat King Cole, Unforgettable- Nat King Cole, My Gift- Rascal Flatts, I Loved Her First- Heartland, There Goes my Life- Kenny Chensey
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • a&j2012a&j2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second "My Wish"- Rascal Flatts and "I Loved Her First"-Heartland
  • L&J2012L&J2012 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having problems finding one, too, but for slightly different reasons. I don't have any brothers and I'm the oldest, so I kind of stepped in as the "son" and helped my dad out with projects around the house, plus I used to be a tomboy and am now an engineer, and we're both into cars and stuff that girlier girls generally aren't into. We're close, but not in the way that daddy and his little girl are close.

So, all of the sappy father/daughter dances there are just don't fit us. My Wish is actually the best suggestion I've seen so far. It's a bit more upbeat and it's not all mushy. Actually, that song would work if we wanted to do father/daughter and mother/son together. Hmm...

I agree with all of the previous suggestions. It Won't Be Like This For Long is another possibility for me... My dad wanted to make sure that we were going to wait a couple of years before having kids, because he's not ready to be a grandpa yet!
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    This song is a little sappy but it has an upbeat tempo it might work and if your dad is a Beatles fan it might be nice, In My Life by the Beatles. Just a thought.
  • Always be your baby by Natalie grant
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We did Somewhere Over the Rainbow. My second choice was Little Miss Magic by Jimmy Buffett
    Photobucket Follow Me on Pinterest
  • degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-western_having-trouble-father-daughter-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:622Discussion:57b43aba-adbe-4bd0-a113-9c36d4fe4a39Post:deae3524-f63a-4d65-b9a7-9f675e8de58f">Re: Having trouble with the father daughter dance...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm having problems finding one, too, but for slightly different reasons. I don't have any brothers and I'm the oldest, so I kind of stepped in as the "son" and helped my dad out with projects around the house, plus I used to be a tomboy and am now an engineer, and we're both into cars and stuff that girlier girls generally aren't into. We're close, but not in the way that daddy and his little girl are close. So, all of the sappy father/daughter dances there are just don't fit us. My Wish is actually the best suggestion I've seen so far. It's a bit more upbeat and it's not all mushy. Actually, that song would work if we wanted to do father/daughter and mother/son together. Hmm... I agree with all of the previous suggestions. It Won't Be Like This For Long is another possibility for me... My dad wanted to make sure that we were going to wait a couple of years before having kids, because he's not ready to be a grandpa yet!
    Posted by L&J2012[/QUOTE]

I have the same relationship with my dad. I am also an engineer. I like My Wish and was really hoping MIL would choose it but she of course didn't. If your dad is anything like my dad listen to Tough Little Boys; you might love it.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • CowgirlK39CowgirlK39 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also suggest "Then They Do" by Trace Adkins. I might use this one myself.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards