New York-Western

paying for reccomendations

Something interesting I learned and thought I should share:

venues and vendors in the Buffalo area sometimes charge other vendors to be put on their "reccomended vendor" list

How as brides are we supposed to trust these reccomendations?  They are based solely on who pays the most not who has the best work.  I learned this from a friend who used to work for a prominent venue who charges vendors to be put in their broschure.  

This is crazy!  I guess this means we cannot trust the venues we can only trust friends, relatives, knotties and online reviews(sometimes).  What's a bride to do?

Re: paying for reccomendations

• edited December 2011
    Yeah, I do not understand this whole thing.  

I was looking at a to z weddings website and saw a link that said click here become a preferred vendor- and right there it outlined the prices.  Why would I trust them then?  

I had the same thing happen to me with Samuel's, I learned their vendors pay to be listed.  I was confused because I went to check out one of the vendors and got a bad vibe so I decided to google them and a simple google search turned up all these bad reviews.  You would think even if a venue is going to charge for referrals they would at least google who they are referring. 
  • edited December 2011
    I work in marketing, and networking by paying to be a preferred vendor is not uncommon. Many companies think it's a fast and easy way to gain exposure and credability, which is true if done correctly. Obviously this works well if you are honest and refer the businesses you have a good relationship with, and that you would want to work with if you were a customer. This is not too risky because a) if you are being honest about your referrals in the first place you are most likely an all-around honest business and b) you are more likely to do a good job if you know a peer is depending on you to hold up their reputation as well. These 'real' preferred vendors will likely reflect your venue in style and price.

Some companies that are just starting out or don't network well don't have those relationships, so they advertise out for "preferred vendor" status opportunities, making them a quick buck and making them appear more credible. If they don't have time or resources to network with other vendors, they most likely don't have the time or resources to check in on the other vendors. They think that since they cut a check their marketing job is done, and they probably won't think about that preferred vendor unless they get a major complaint from someone who already had her wedding. The same goes for the vendor who paid for the opportunity - they are likely just looking for exposure, and not a long-term relationship. They likely will not consider how a poor job will reflect upon the company that vouched for them.

If you are seriously considering a venue that does this, ask them about the vendor in person. If they can't give anything more than a generic answer, talk to them about the info you found on their preferred vendor. You have every right to tell them you are concerned about their standards if they can't convince you the info you found on google is incorrect. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • michellep1michellep1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Knot's recommended vendors "in your area" also charge.  My photographer is just getting started and mentioned that she is on weddingwire but that the knot charges too much for her to put herself on there yet.  It surprised me; I thought the knot recommended actual reputable vendors that they found, not sold the space as advertising. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic June 2012 Siggy: Favorite Engagement Picture! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    That's why you have forums like this :)  Also check out Wedding Wire.  They have lots of vendors on there with reviews from brides.  Once you start digging, it's pretty easy to tell who is legit.  

Personally, I don't know how people planned weddings before the internet! :P
    Photobucket Follow Me on Pinterest
  • petitananaspetitananas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bridal Chateau also does this.  I was shocked, I went into the store with my BM's and was solicited after entering the door by a photographer. He would not leave us alone. When I told him that my old college roomate was my photographer (who is also a professional photographer), he insulted me by saying that is no fun, how do you expect good photographs from a friend? RUDE RUDE RUDE.

I actually told him that she would probably do a better job than him at any given time and reported him to the store's manager. She didnt seem to care that this jack ass was soliciting hard core in their store. In fact, he probably paid them to be there.

Long story short, we ordered our dresses elsewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards