New York-Western
Options

candy bar

Has anyone ever done a candy bar?  I'm helping a friend plan and was going to help her get everything.

Where did you buy stuff?

How did setup work?  Will the reception do it for you?

How much did it cost?  (she will have 150 people)

Re: candy bar

• Options
    degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am not having one but I believe most people order the candy online. They usually by different glass bowls at craft stores or dollar stores. They have little bags and stuff  to take the candy home in. I think you buy about 10 different types of candy and about 10 lbs per person.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My reception site charges $300 for an extra dessert table (i.e., for chocolates or a candy bar). This includes the set up though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    10 lbs per person is probably a bit much.  I'd say close to 1/4 lb per person (and even that might be overkill).  Not everyone will eat it, and not everyone will take that much.  I've also seen people use little Chinese to-go containers instead of lucite bags.  You can get stickers with their monogram or logo to put on the bags/containers.  Don't forget little scoopers or tongs for people to serve themselves from the containers.

Dylan's Candy Bar (www.dylanscandybar.com) is a great place to buy the candy.  Cost can totally vary depending on what kind of candy you buy.  You can also check with friends/family to see if they have glass containers for the display.  I ended up not having to buy any.

I am having a small riser (maybe 4-6 inches) made for the candy bar table to create a little height for the different glass containers.  My venue will set it up for me (at no cost), but not all venues will.

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    10 lbs. a person?  that seems like a lot... I read somewhere like 10 -15 types and 10 lbs of each kind
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've seen lots of posts on wedding classifieds (here and weddingbee) where people are selling their "apothecary" jars from their candy bars. You can also use the clear canisters with metal lids that they sell in the kitchen section. There are lots of inspiration pictures out there for different set-ups.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oooo wow I meant 10lbs per type of candy. Wow that was a bad typo!
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • Options
    Nicole7109Nicole7109 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm actually having my candy bar done for me by -Sitting Pretty. They are located on Hertel Ave inside Floral Exploration. The girl who does them is Andrea Italiano. She is also doing my sashes for my chairs- which are $1.00 each including the setup (cheapest I've seen), and damask table runners for $4.00 each. But for the candy bar it's 3.00 per person..that includes everything, including the bags for your guests..the biggest conveneice is that you dont have to worry about getting it all together yourself, and worrying that you might not have enough candy. With the price, she said it's enough candy for each person to take about a 1/2 lb per person. She's gonna color coordinate it for me too, since my colors are hot pink and black..the table will be decorated in my colors also..I think its gonna turn out really nice..when I sat down with her, I just told her what types of candy I wanted, and we talked about what would be best for my color scheme too..she had some really good ideas! She can also do mini cupcakes and cookies for it..If you do not want a color themed candy buffet, it brings the price down to $2.50 per person. If you want to do it yourself, Michaels and TJMaxx has some nice glass jars for pretty cheap.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That price that Nicole mentioned seems like a good deal.  I was fortunate enough to have a friend (who was also our florist) to borrow jars from.  I got tin tie bags from www.papermart.com and the candy from BJs and http://www.metrocandy.com  I think I spent like $300 on candy and there wasn't very much left over (we had 155 guests).  Natalie at Pearl Street set up the candy bar, and did a great job.  The love is sweet sign my mom got for me from etsy.
    October 2010 September SC - 1st Anniversary Plans:
    Trip to Prague & bring home furbaby when we get back
    imageimage
    ~ Karen ~
    **Wedding/House/Travel Bio **
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Nicole, can you post a link to the place?  I'm not having good luck on a google search :(
    Photobucket Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Nicole7109Nicole7109 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Very nice candy bar Patineuse!!

Kat- Here's the link to the website, although there is not really much info on the website, I think the only info she has on theres is for chair covers.  She just started doing the candy buffets last year..
    http://sittingprettyinbuffalo.com/

She is also on facebook-
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sitting-Pretty/190255731355

Here email address is:
    andrea@sittingprettyinbuffalo.com

and her phone # is
    716-308-3892

When I first got in contact with her, she emailed me her brochure with all the prices..I can email it to you, if you want to private message me your email. And some of the prices she quoted me were, more expensive on the brochure. Like for the color customized candy bar, she quotes 3.50 per person, but I think shes running a special, bc she quoted me 3.00 a person.  The only thing is she's sometimes hard to get a hold of. I would suggest calling and emailing her. If you need anything else, just let me know~!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Nicole! I'll send a PM with my email now if you can send me the brochure I'd appreciate it!
    Photobucket Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm currently in the process of putting together my candy bar and I just figured out that it is oodles cheaper to buy the Hersey chocolate in your local grocery store (mine has the 12oz bags for $2.99) then to buy it on these online sites.  I'm saving $15 on 5 pounds of Hersey Kisses and I don't have to pay shipping!  So my advice is to shop around and make sure you're getting the best deal!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards