New York-Western

Nails? (Buffalo)

I never get my nails done and I've heard that it can be bad for them depending on what you have done. 

Is there something that doesn't ruin your nails (besides just painting them)?

Also, anybody have any recommendations on where to go and how much it costs (mani only)?

TIA!

Re: Nails? (Buffalo)

• gymbugmj2kgymbugmj2k member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i usually get french manicures done about 1x a year or so. call me racist or biased, but I think the asian ladies have it down to an artform!  I've ALWAYS been happy with my nails when I leave. Theres a couple nail places on transit in williamsville that i've been to.  I'm pretty sure a french manicure is somewhere between $20-35?  It seems that the salons/spas charge more than the nail places, so do your research.

• edited December 2011
    I used to get acrylics but have now switched to the gel manicure. It lasts for 3 weeks without chipping and isn't as harsh as acrylics can be. It's usually between 20 and 25 depending on the place. There was this place I used to go to in Buffalo on Deleware Ave in a small plaza near Jim's Steakout. Not sure what it was called but I loved it there.
    May 2013 January Siggy Challenge
    Cake
    my read shelf:
    Becky's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    acrylics- I believe it what you are referring to. They can be very bad for your nails.
    Gels- I have heard go thing about them, they are better for your nails.

Fiber Glass Tips- I have had these done before and they don't use any power tools to put them on and this is what I would recommend. I had one nail that needed a tip because my real nail broke before the wedding.

I went to Head of the Class in Clarence.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!  I'll have to check those places out!
  • clarkcristaclarkcrista member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have been a nail tech for 20 years.
    Nothing is 'bad for your nails' as long as it is done properly.
    In my opinion, acrylic nails are on thier way out. Gel polish is taking over the industry.  It is a natural nail manicure and there is no commintment (as there is with acrylic).
    Be sure to go to  a reputable salon who practices NYS's strict hygiene laws!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards