Pennsylvania

are you serious?

So I went to visit my organist today, and was told that she will not play the wedding march! Apparently it is not appropriate for houses of worship! WTF!!!!

Re: are you serious?

• edited December 2011
    For many reasons......The "Bridal Chorus" from the opera Lohengrin, by German composer Richard Wagner, is the standard march played for the bride's entrance at many formal weddings throughout the Western world. In English-speaking countries it is generally known as "Here Comes the Bride" or "Wedding March" (though actually "wedding march" refers to any piece in march tempo accompanying the entrance or exit of the bride, notably Felix Mendelssohn's "Wedding March"). Its usual placement at the beginning of a wedding ceremony is not entirely in accordance with its placement in the opera. In the opera, the chorus is sung after the ceremony by the women of the wedding party, as they accompany the heroine Elsa to the bridal chamber. In addition, the marriage between Elsa and Lohengrin is an almost immediate failure. The "Bridal Chorus" is seldom played at Jewish weddings which do not feature a processional. There could in any case be religious objections due to Wagner's reputation as an anti-semite.[1] It is also opposed by many pastors of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod because of pre-First World War Lutheran opposition to the theater and to the pagan elements of Wagner's operas.[2] The Roman Catholic Church generally does not use the Bridal Chorus; one guideline states that the chorus is a secular piece of music, that it is not a processional to the altar in the opera, and especially that its frequent use in film and television associate it with sentimentality rather than worship.[3]
    "If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • edited December 2011
    is that a church rule or HER rule? if it's her's, i would find someone else. if it's the church's you may be out of luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards