Pennsylvania

ordaining online?

Hi, does anyone know if it is legal in PA (Luzerne County) for someone to get ordained online and marry us?  We were thinking it would be a nice way to include my brother in the ceremony since most of our immediate families have roles besides him.  Any help appreciated, I've found conflicting info online.

Re: ordaining online?

• edited December 2011
    nope - sorry.  My husband did the online ordaination and then found out it's not legal.

BUT

You could have someone at the court house sign the papers to legally marry you and then have the ceremony done by your brother -- but whatever he did would be a ceremony and not a legally binding anything.
  • edited December 2011
    I had my uncle ordained online and was all set to have him perform our ceremony but I read about some counties in PA claiming that a few marriages performed by people who were ordained onlin were not valid. I believe those cases are still bing fought in court though. PA has not ruled on such a matter but I was informed by the clerk in our county that if years down the line the state of PA decided online oridnation was not acceptable then we would chance our marriage not being valid. SOOO.. we got married by a judge the day before and still had my uncle perform our ceremony. No one knew exceot our parents. It was a beautiful cermony and I am glad we still had my uncle do it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards