Canada-Alberta

My Dress Cautionary Tale - please read!

I have had a poor experience with Ruby Woo and I would like to share my experience with you so that you can consider my experience when deciding whether to work with Ruby Woo. My experience started out fine, but a little more than 4 months to my wedding I ended up firing them. Here’s why:

Summation of my experience: They sent pictures of the progress. The poor picture quality made it very difficult to make very important decisions as well as difficult to judge colour, angles of pleating, fabric, etc. They rely on your comments to ensure they dress is made to your liking. The fabric was changed from silk satin to taffeta without any notification, the colour was completely incorrect, my dress did not actually fit despite custom measurements, and they commented on my need to exercise or diet. For me, I felt completely deceived and was left heart broken.

My experience:

- Colour was ALL wrong. After six months from starting the process with them, I had an exclusive fitting because they had so many difficulties with the dress. When I walked in the door and saw my dress, my heart sank. It was yellow, beige-gold. I wanted a warm pearly ivory! This was not okay. The pictures I had received leading up to this point were badly taken and I was never 100% sure of the actual colour.  For example, the first set of two pictures showed two different colours:  one picture as ivory/pearl, the other was a buttery yellow. Confusing! When asked about it, I was told that the dress makers are not photographers. I then asked if they could drape a white sheet behind the dress so I could have a reference point … after all, which colour is the dress – yellow or ivory?? Draping a sheet apparently would not happen. I would just have to trust.  Later, when I see my dress in person I almost cried right then and there. I have fair skin and get completely washed out in yellows. Why would they ever think I would be okay with yellow for my wedding gown? I came to the realization that they make dresses based on your comments and they stand by those comments, despite my non-professional knowledge of fashion. It appears to me that they do not make dresses based on their fashion knowledge, what looks best on the body type of client and skin tone of the client.

- FABRIC was CHANGED without my knowledge - from silk satin to taffeta.  No notice, no email – in fact they said that they didn’t know the fabric was changed until they received the dress for my exclusive fitting. They tried to explain the change of fabric, “the pleating would be so difficult in satin, and the whole dress would be almost double as heavy… We don’t want you to overheat that day”. My doubt continued to escalate as I had previously tried on lots of dresses with TONS of pleating in many different fabrics including silk satin in the dress boutiques. I was extremely disappointed in the lack of communication with the dress makers and the fact that they allowed a fabric change to occur.

- DID NOT FIT – So back to my exclusive fitting. I was lead into the next room to change into the dress – which, by the way, was a laundry room hallway. I had about 3 feet between a rack of dresses and their washing machine. There was a door which likely lead to the outside – just what any woman wants when they are half naked, the chance that some stranger will walk in on them. I tried to get into the dress – it was too small. I asked for help. One person couldn’t do it. So she got her boss – whom I had never met and now meeting for the first time in my underwear. Humiliating. The TWO of them couldn’t get it on me. It was TOO SMALL. It was not a ‘custom fit dress’.

- FAILED to complete my dress – I wanted them to make something similar to Maggie Sottero’s Cleo dress. Feel free to google it. In the beginning there was so much promised to me. I was worry free, but I specified over, and over, and over again that the part I loved was the pleating overlap near the left leg. At this exclusive fitting six months later, it was revealed that they really couldn’t do this pleating effect. If I wanted to go through other changes to make on the dress they would be happy to make the same sort of design, but the overlap wouldn’t be the same. I was crushed. When I explained my disappointment they offered a choice of a full refund or to go with what they could do… and any further changes after that would cost $270 per change!!! 

- RUDE comment about my weight – I was already feeling vulnerable since meeting the owner of Ruby Woo in my underwear and not being able to fit into a dress. Any girl would. They took my measurements again and while doing so my mom made a joke to lighten the mood. She said “Okay, they’re taking your measurements – from now on don’t eat!” Knowing and understanding my mom, I laughed. She was being cheeky. Without missing a beat, the Ruby Woo staff said “Yes, and exercise!” I DO NOT think that was kind or appropriate. In fact, I was quite insulted. Then, she continued on explaining some great diet that her mother in law did and lost 40 pounds. Just reduce your calories by two thirds and you’ll be fine. In my shock, I retorted that lately I was eating rather well and I was reducing my portion size (I have a Nutrition degree) and that was fine with me. When she continued I was so offended I drowned her voice out.  I’ll get one thing straight right now - I’m not tiny, but I’m also not big. I’m average. I’m happy with myself and do take care of myself. I am working out a little to lead up to my wedding and want to have nice arms. If anyone thinks they can be in the wedding business and comment on anyone’s weight you are dead wrong.

Where am I now? I received the deposit refund, but because Ruby Woo left it so late, I didn’t end up with that dress I loved. I went back to the retail store and had to find a different dress. With four months to my wedding, the store couldn’t get the dress on time, not even on a rush. So thanks Ruby Woo, now I can’t get the dress that I really wanted.  If they had told me earlier in the process that they could not make the dress I had asked of them then at least I would have had more time to find my dress elsewhere.

Re: My Dress Cautionary Tale - please read!

• Very sorry to hear about your bad experience!  Sounds as though they need a lesson on professionalism...as do a few other 'wedding vendors' I've dealt with in Calgary.

I also had a rather unfortunate experience with the bridal center in Calgary.  Drove down to Lethbridge to order my Maggie Sottero dress (as the bridal center is the only store in Calgary who sells Maggie) as I refused to give the snotty sales rep my money.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-alberta_my-dress-cautionary-tale-please-read?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:626Discussion:e25df4bd-219f-4680-bde3-f0b39a585d68Post:f46894cd-16f8-47cc-b0c7-cc755ba5e1f5">Re: My Dress Cautionary Tale - please read!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Very sorry to hear about your bad experience!  Sounds as though they need a lesson on professionalism...as do a few other 'wedding vendors' I've dealt with in Calgary.   I also had a rather unfortunate experience with the bridal center in Calgary.  Drove down to Lethbridge to order my Maggie Sottero dress (as the bridal center is the only store in Calgary who sells Maggie) as I refused to give the snotty sales rep my money.
    Posted by khalliwell[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I thought about going to lethbridge for a maggie sottero dress too because i REFUSED to go to the Bridal Center after seeing how they treated a friend of mine a few months earlier. absolutely AWFUL. </div><div>Good luck with the dresses ladies</div>
  • Wow, how awful for you, did you eventually get a dress?
    Daisypath Friendship tickers PitaPata Cat tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards