Maryland

In Need of a Rustic Reception Venue

Hello Maryland Brides!

My friend recently got engaged and we are trying to find a rustic venue, like an old barn, to have the reception in early next November.

We've seen lots of places online and in person, but many of them are too small or too far.

We'd like to find a place that has rustic charm (a barn would be great!), can hold around 200 people, and is within an hour or so of Baltimore since that's where most of the guests will be traveling from.

This is Maryland, and we can't find a barn to have a party in! It's crazy!

All suggestions are welcome! Thanks so much!!!

Re: In Need of a Rustic Reception Venue

• ashlidieashlidie member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Grimmel Farms has a barn as does Richardsons Farms.    They just don't advertise.  They both are pretty large and are fairly priced, just a little out of our price range.  I am using the Union Mills Homestead but the barn can only hold about 160 inside.  They add on a tent out the back for larger parties but I only have 150, so I did not need to consider that.  The whole grounds are a historic mill up in Westminster if interested.

Grimmel Farms is basically you rent the barn and the rest is on you.  You need a bathroom trailor, caterer, tables, everything.  The rental itself will be around 3-4k.  Look them up online and ask for Kristen, she can get you started.  She actually had her ceremony there so you may find pictures online of her wedding at Grimmel and reception at Boordy vineyards.  Grimmel is up in Jarrettsville.

Richardsons is the opposite.  They are the whole thing about 70pp and up for food, rental, tables, chairs, everything except the alcohol.  We couldn't afford that one unless we had just 100 guests instead of 150.  We loved it since it is less than 1/4 mile from my fathers but it was just too much for us.  Again, look them up on google and ask for the catering.  The barn is in Glen Arm but the address you will likely call is in White Marsh.

These are the only large ones I know from my own barn search in Maryland.  Ostertag vistas is gorgeous but too small.  I did not go too far into linganore's barn because it was just a little further than my fiance wanted in Mt Airy.  There is a farm in montgomery county too, I think Linden farm.  Again I have no idea about the sizes.  If you are willing to go just over te line, I think Duke Farm in PA is popular too. 

I you want inexpensive you can travel further, there is a state park that has a pavillion that looks like a big barn.  Jefferson Patterson Park in southern MD.  I loved the look and cost is tough to beat but it was a little far as most of our family is from north of Balto.

I hope this is helpful!
    June 2013 - Shoe Inspiration
    imageimage
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I just private messaged you!
  • edited December 2011
    Great post!  My fiance and I are also looking into a similar kind of venue for our wedding next fall, any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks so much ladies!
  • edited December 2011
     A lot of historic venues that are not in absolute pristine condition have a 'rustic' sort of feel to them, but not many have barns. If you can't find an actual barn that's the next category I would look into.
  • Does anyone know how much it costs to rent Ostertag vistas?
  • I just visited Ostertag Vistas- it is $2950 to for the reception which includes tables and chairs. It is an additional cost for ceremony there of $650. Beautiful ceremony sites but the decorations in the barn can't come down and are a specific taste.
  • I just visited Ostertag Vistas- it is $2950 to for the reception which includes tables and chairs. It is an additional cost for ceremony there of $650. Beautiful ceremony sites but the decorations in the barn can't come down and are a specific taste.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards