Maryland

Chesapeake Bay Wedding Venues (With a Water View)

2»

Re: Chesapeake Bay Wedding Venues (With a Water View)

• <div>Where did you end up having your wedding in Baltimore County?</div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maryland_chesapeake-bay-wedding-venues-water?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:627Discussion:da71793b-ee76-4ffa-91e8-c12b902acc12Post:da1033e9-95db-470d-a839-fa222f420a08">Re: Chesapeake Bay Wedding Venues (With a Water View)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just wanted to reiterate bridetobe62913 's post - Celebrations was beautiful, but it was very expensive.  We were looking at next April and were quoted $128/pp (for wine/beer service, not an open bar) and a $6k rental fee for the room for a Saturday evening.  It was gorgeous, but the quotes we got back were way out of our price range, it came out more than our entire budget.  They do have another property, the Anchor Inn, which wasn't too far from Celebrations but I don't remember what body of water it's on (it was some creek I believe).  The salesperson I worked with was VERY nice, and really tried to get something to work for us, but because we had so many out of town guests a Friday or Sunday wouldn't work - they had another property off of I-95 we considered but while we were thinking it over we went to another location in Baltimore County, nowhere near the water, and fell in love with it.  Less than half the cost of Celebrations and for 40 people more. Oh and we did look at Kurtz's Beach - it was ok, I think we may have liked it more if we had gone there before going to Celebrations.  But we went after (they were having an open house) and there was just no comparison.  Yes, they have the banquet area for weddings, etc. but it's also a community hall with a bingo board set up in the other room and the outside area seemed very cramped.  It looks a lot better in pictures!  Plus they absolutely refuse to move the ceremony indoors unless it's raining - so if you end up with a 100+ degree day and decide you only want to take pictures outside, too bad.  (that was a big concern for my FI regarding outdoor weddings - he doesn't handle heat well). Good luck with your search!
    Posted by 4n6chick[/QUOTE]
  • edited May 2013
    Hi! We are getting married at Herrington September 7, 2013! It is a gorgeous venue with so much to offer. I fell in love with it the second I laid eyes on the Polynesian bridal lawn. It's like a Hawaiian destination wedding. Michael is our wedding coordinator and is phenomenally accommodating and very quick to respond. Our wedding is on a Saturday and there is a minimum if $20,000 for a Saturday night wedding at or venue location, BUT there are a lot of other moderately priced venues at Herrington. They are willing to work with your budget to accommodate your needs. We did do a block at Herrington inn and that has filled quickly and unfortunately is kind of expensive. However, it is on the water with gorgeous views and they have 8 different suites available that if split among large groups can be more moderately priced. Because there is another wedding the weekend of ours, all the rooms at the inn have been booked, so we blocked another 10 rooms at Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa. Those rooms are a little more affordable. They are more outdated than the inn, but still enough for the guests needs. We will also be providing a shuttle for the guests from the resort to Herrington. Herrington also includes their food, alcohol, linens, tables, and staff for the ceremony and reception. I can say we are extremely satisfied with our experience with Herrington thus far. Good luck!
  • Our reception is at Swan Harbor Farm in Havre de Grace, Md. While they don't offer a caterer or rooms to rend the location is beautiful, water views with a pier. We are getting married 8-3-13 and with the cost of tables chairs etc for around 120 people it was roughly under $4000 but that's because it's a Saturday night, a week day is a lot cheaper
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Hi everyone!!  Comments on here have been super helpful. I'm now looking at these venues before I may just go with 2941 (a restaurant in Falls Church, VA--I know--random).

Great Oak Manor
    Maria's Love Point B&B
    Bridges Restaurant
    Matapeake Beach & Clubhouse
    Silver Swan Bayside
    St. Michaels Harbour Inn, Harbour Lights Restaurant and Point Pleasant
    Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
    The Point at Pintail/ Wye River Estate
    Lodgecliffe
    Comus Inn
    Herrington on the Bay

Please add anything you know about any of these that hasn't been covered above. Wonder how different things might be (if they are different) re: the Swan, since bad comments were from a couple years ago.

• We're getting married at Herrington on the Bay in July. They have two options, one of which is right next to a motel-like inn (and charge crazy prices because they're on the beach) and the other is across the marina. The Bridal Garden is beautiful, has higher walls surrounding it so no one can really see other than your guests, and overlooks the Bay. The Yacht Club has an upstairs and downstairs. I know you can rent individually, but we rented the whole place out. Message me for pricing.

The other side (where we aren't going) is the Polynesian Bridal Garden (larger area for more guests) and there's the tent for the reception. It's a permanent tent, but doesn't come with A/C and you have to rent almost everything out. To be fair, HOTB will do everything for you, but if you're not going to sweat what china your guests are going to be licking the crumbs off of...

The food is simply divine. Try to get Chef Tom, who will always give you something to munch on on the way out. My fiance may ditch me for Chef Tom, who has promised to work for him for beer and pizza when he retires!

The accounting is horrid and they know it. Be prepared to pay 50% really early or pay extra fees to have a payment schedule that they don't outline very clearly. Get every promise in writing. Instead of paying a set sum every month, we ended up paying double that for a while because of minimums required we weren't aware of.

Just to warn you, we booked almost two years in advance because we needed a specific date (school dates for internationals). They were booked completely for our needed two-three weeks in July in 2013 in September 2012.

It's beautiful. The food is wonderful. The design and event coordinators are the nicest, most helpful people. The only bad thing I've found so far working with them is that the accounting is a little complicated and being more prepared to handle it would have taken care of that. It is pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Hope this helps!
  • yg4201yg4201 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2014
    Sorry, it posted twice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards