Michigan-Northern

Newly engaged- considering Northern Michigan

I just got engaged and we are considering getting married in northern Michigan (Petoskey, Macinac Island, Charlevoix, etc). We live in Illinois and are planning to get married in the spring of 2011. When would be a good time to start planning a wedding out of state? Also, if anyone could throw out any ides for the ceremony that would be great. We are thinking it's only going to be parents, grandparents and siblings at the ceremony and then come back to Illinois to have the reception after our honeymoon. So if anyone could just point me in the right direction on when to start planning and all that good stuff I'd really appreciate it. Thank you very much!!

Re: Newly engaged- considering Northern Michigan

• edited December 2011
    I am a caterer and wondering if you are in need of one? I can be reached at kerrymt@yahoo.com. Have you ever considered Paradise Michigan, or near any lighthouses. I live in Kinross Michigan, so if you need any help, please contact me.
  • sarahbruskisarahbruski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mackinaw is a beautiful area for a wedding.  The horse and carriages give it a magical touch.  If you are looking for a beautiful outdoor spot, Whitefish Point is beautiful.  the lighthouses and the historic buildings are amazing.  I grew up in Northern Michigan and lived in the Upper Peninsula for 5 years so i know the area pretty well. Good luck!
  • hally_ahhally_ah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting marrid on Mackinac Island Labor Day 2010.  We are going up there this Labor Day to check out what life is like on the island Labor Day weekend and what not.  I am VERY overwhelmed about everything since I live in Chicago, but know things will work out.  CARRIE----please let us know the vendors, etc.  Did you hire a wedding planner?  When did you send out your save the dates (I need to get on top of that!).   Stephanie---you have a ton of choices on venues if you're having a small ceremony on the Island.  I don't know much about the surrounding cities, but do know anywhere you have it in Northern Michigan will be beautiful!!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I was just at Mackinaw Island last week, and it would be the perfect place to have a wedding.  There is a gorgeous church up there, and the island has so many fun things to do that all of your guests would be easily entertained.  As far as when to start planning, I would begin looking at things now.  They might not let you actually reserve anything this far in advance, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.  I just started planning my wedding, and I'm shocked at how many places are completely booked for next summer -- like every single saturday from april - sept.!!!  So especially with popular places like Mackinaw Island, there's no such thing as too soon.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    So little big has changed since I first posted, but not much. We have decided on Oct 10, 2010 for a wedding on Mackinac Island. I thought about staying on the island Saturday night, so we would have a place to get ready for the wedding (everyone else would stay on the mainland and just ferry over for the day).  Then having the ceremony at the Somewhere in Time Gazebo earlier in the day (maybe 11 or noon-ish) then going back to Petoskey for the afternoon/evening hours. If possible, I think it would be nice to have the trolly take us around the island and take pictures all over the island. I'm working on getting as much info from vendors, etc to "present" it to my FH that way we have a good idea of prices. Also, is anyone attending the Destination Dream Wedding Weekend on Oct 9-10? I think it would be great for us to go since we live so far away but due to living far away, it's going to be hard to get up there just for the weekend. If anyone is going, I would LOVE to see pictures and to know what you gathered from the show!!! You may email me at andersonwedding11@yahoo.comThanks girls!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards