Michigan-Northern

Traverse City: Beach Ceremony/Hip Restaurant Reception

Hello!

So we have decided that we wanted to have smaller wedding celebration (40 people max) with mostly immediate family and close friends. Also, we've decided to squeeze in the wedding later this summer! It's been a longer engagement (3 1/2 years). Doesn't look like 10k or more on wedding will be in our budget anytime soon.

We love northern Michigan! My fiance hasn't been to Traverse City and it has been years since I've visted but remember how much I loved it when I did. So I'm not real familiar with the area. We're both the type that can adapt to different settings: beach ceremony, outdoor reception, lodging in cabins, or reception at a hip restaurant. 

I've been googling like crazy and feel like I'm not getting very far in my attempt to plan a wedding that's so soon. 

Places I've looked online:

Sleeping Bear Dunes (went summer 2012. By far the most beautiful and peaceful place I've ever seen).

Traverse City: Love the variety of stuff to do! 

Lodgings/Resorts: Timber Ridge Resort, Holiday Inn Westbay Resort (Not sure on prices! Bad reviews for both?) Love the rustic feel with cabins and onsite reception for Timber. I love the resort because it's on the water w/ beach ceremony and reception.

Cons: Budget!

Is it bad to ask guests to pay their way? (lodging costs/food/drinks?) Yes, this sounds bad.

Hip restaurant?: Red Ginger in Traverse City (can accomodate 48 guests in upper level). Any thoughts on this place?

Beach ceremony? Still hooked on this idea.

I'm not sure where to begin! Thanks!

Let me know if I'm not being realistic on such terms. I need honest advice. 

Re: Traverse City: Beach Ceremony/Hip Restaurant Reception

• I can't speak too much to the ceremony locations, but I have gone to Red Ginger in Traverse City. Although it had positive reviews online, my experience there was not that great. Yes, the atmosphere is definitely nice, but I was disappointed with the food. My fiance and I ordered sushi (we are big sushi fans), but Red Ginger's just wasn't very good. They seemed to have more American-ized varieties, which may be your thing, but it wasn't for us. They were also quite expensive, but maybe their group packages are lower priced.

I have gone to a restaurant called Firefly in TC, and I thought the food was great. The atmosphere is still hip, and they have a lot of variety on the menu. They also offer "small plates", so maybe you could do some sort of cocktail reception or have several small plates per table to cut on cost. Just a thought.

As a side note on budget, we are having our guests pay their lodging costs (I think that is typical), but for the reception and rehersal, we will cover the food/drinks. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-northern_traverse-city-beach-ceremonyhip-restaurant-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:628Discussion:a313cdfb-0ee0-47bf-8c2f-43ab948b53caPost:877352f9-98fe-4987-8a34-0029f1aa9d32">Re: Traverse City: Beach Ceremony/Hip Restaurant Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can't speak too much to the ceremony locations, but I have gone to Red Ginger in Traverse City. Although it had positive reviews online, my experience there was not that great. Yes, the atmosphere is definitely nice, but I was disappointed with the food. My fiance and I ordered sushi (we are big sushi fans), but Red Ginger's just wasn't very good. They seemed to have more American-ized varieties, which may be your thing, but it wasn't for us. They were also quite expensive, but maybe their group packages are lower priced. I have gone to a restaurant called Firefly in TC, and I thought the food was great. The atmosphere is still hip, and they have a lot of variety on the menu. They also offer "small plates", so maybe you could do some sort of cocktail reception or have several small plates per table to cut on cost. Just a thought. As a side note on budget, we are having our guests pay their lodging costs (I think that is typical), but for the reception and rehersal, we will cover the food/drinks. 
    Posted by MandyN07[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Thank you! This has helped. :)

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards