California-Orange County

OVERWHELMED!!

We are getting married in August in Dana Point.  We are on a strict budget and I am trying to figure everything out. My FI is being very helpful but I am still incredibly overwhelmed. I don't even know where to begin with so many things. We already have our ceremony and reception venues. Our reception is going to be in my Aunt's back yard in Laguna Beach. I am trying to find a valet, caterer, dj, and photographer. I have one photographer that I like, but everything seem so daunting. I have about 7 other names but I don't know how to compare them.  Our ceremony is at 1pm and the reception is going to be around 3:30 or 4. We don't plan on having a full dinner as there will not be enough room for everyone to sit down at once. I'd like to have cocktail reception with heavy appetizers. Can anyone suggest any good food ideas/caterers for about $15 a person (110ish people)?  We'd also like an affordable DJ and Valet. As I said, the whole thing feels so daunting....

Thank you in advance.

Re: OVERWHELMED!!

• writerunnerwriterunner member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wish I knew how to help you.  I was feeling overwhelmed, too.  I ended up hiring a wedding planner.  It sounds indulgent, but she's already saving me a boatload of money because I'm not crafty, I don't shop, I don't know who to go to or how to compare.  She's already done the legwork and she passes on her discounts to me.  She also has many of the items that I would otherwise need to purchase like gold chargers or big candle votives.  She's lending me cake cutters and all of those little things that add up.  Extra material to dress up the tables, etc.  I'm so happy with her I would like to adopt her as my surrogate mother.

You don't say what your budget is.  I know that besides my wedding, the planner is also doing a wedding with a $4,000 budget and 300 people.  It sounds like it's going to be a lovely, lovely beach wedding and park reception.  I almost wanted to ask her to just do mine like that one because it sounded like so much fun.

I'm just saying this may be a good route to go since you sound about as clueless as I did.  She's been worth the money.  Good luck to you.  No matter what this will all work out beautifully.  My FI always says, "Are you going to  be there? Because that's all I care about."  
  • edited December 2011

Don't be overwhelmed... just take one thing at a time.

Not sure of your budget... but I'm sure it can be done.

I work for a catering company and do some catering of my own and your price is reasonable for heavy appetizers. Now I'm not sure if that includes drinks water, punch, soda, beer, wine. I have been and catered plenty events where it they served just water and juice (punch and lemonade) and no one missed having alcohol. Which will save you on cost. Or even allow your guest to BYOB (stated classier) since its at your aunts house.

Valet always seems kind of expensive to me but I've never really looked into it much. I would always make sure that their insurance is good.

For our wedding the DJ wasn't that important to me... Luckily we had to choose from a prefered vendor list which made it easy but we are paying $800 for I believe 6 hours...

What do you plan on doing for invitations? I'm DIY-ing mine and have yet to even research pricing.
    Hope this helps!

• kasarinkasarin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Take it one step at a time and delegate if you can. If your FI is into the music, ask him to choose the DJ.

As far as choosing vendors, find a few people (like 4 otherwise, you won't remember who was who) within your budget and check out the reviews on Project Wedding. Then call them up and meet with them. Make sure you feel comfortable with the person. Or just ask on this Board if someone has used a certain vendor.

I don't know much about valet, but you might want to check with the city to see if they have any recommendations. Try the visitor's bureau and the Chamber of Commerce. Good luck!!
  • jaejaeveejaejaevee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    I know exactly how you're feeling I think the big issue is we have great options available but when it comes time to make a decision and go with one we get nervous that it's a big committment and what if there was a cheaper and better option out there.  Chances are if you're like I am you did the research so no matter what you know you're getting a good deal.  Look at reviews for vendors those are alway great tips to help you decide.  Trust yourself and start crossing some things off your list. It will feel so good to feel like you got stuff done.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards