Washington
Options

Seattle Venue: Skansonia vs. Lake Union Cafe

Help!  I am evaluating the Skansonia .... a ferry drydocked on Lake Union with an outstanding VIEW and the inside is 30's decor which I like, but it is sort of dark and since I am getting married in May, there is every likelihood of rain in Seattle.  The Lake Union Cafe is about $1500 more and the inside is so beautiful and it has a nice view of Lake Union, but it is not as great but the furnishings are stelllar!  Any thoughts
115 Invited - 96 accepted 14 declined 4 Where are you Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Seattle Venue: Skansonia vs. Lake Union Cafe

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We looked at both and decided on the Lake Union Cafe.  I found Victoria at LUC was much more attentive and responsive and I think they are willing to budge a little on your extra needs.  My biggest concern with the ferry was the venue was so broken up that it wouldnt create a good flow for the evening plus we are having 130 people and they said they only had 50 chairs for the ceremony so most of the people would have to stand- we couldnt figure out that one.  When I brought my fiance to see the ferry he shared some of my same concerns but what he noticed was how dirty it was.  Funny- I hadn't noticed it the first time but if you cant clean the spiderwebs for a sunday open house what would it look like on your wedding. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Exactly about the spiderwebs.  They had cleaners there that day, but the Skansonia smelled funny to me.  We checked out Blue Ribbon Cooking School which is about 3 doors down but on the lake.  Funky, funky, funky. It seemed like a good deal for 2 seconds, but my mom said, 'realllly'.  So Ray's Boathouse was lovely for the view, but it would be too small, she says she can do 150, but I THINK NOT!  (I'm getting into my Bridezilla voice)  It's going to rain in May anyhooo.  Then I got all decided on the Lake Union and my mom checks out the Canal last night!  So Lake Union it is.  .  .   I think.  Yes!  Many happy returns on your day. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I haven't been on this board in years, but I got married at LUC in 2006 and it was absolutely fantastic.  Dan & Victoria at LUC went above and beyond in every way to make sure that the whole event went as planned.

Also, think about your wedding photos--all of your ceremony and reception pics will be inside, so you want a beautiful interior to serve as the backdrop.  Here are a few pics from my wedding at LUC:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d169/coribecca/374-1.jpg

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d169/coribecca/?action=view&current=189.jpg

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d169/coribecca/?action=view&current=117.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, 

Coribeca, I booked the Lake Union Cafe. I have a dreamy elegant sort of 30's dress but not really.  So I need to know what you are wearing in the cake photo.  A feather boa?  I think I need that.  
    This is my dress.

I have a song and dance number my nieces will do, to I'll be your life's companion, but it looks rather crowded on the stage.  You had the MOH standing up there?  Did you get up on the stage?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OMG, I am looking at all your photos.  Your style is so similar to mine, this is great!  That would be so cool to look at all the weddings at Lake Union Cafe and look at your centerpieces, etc.  Love your feather in the flowers.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love the idea of getting married on a boat and looked at the Skansonia, but it seemed very limited inside as well as catering options.  I worry when all the different photos provided by an array of photographers seem to be in the same few places.  It also looks like there would be limited dancing room.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards