Washington

Reception sites in Olympia

Hi ladies!  Are there any Oly girls out there who have been to/checked out the ballroom at the Urban Onion downtown?  It sounds like a good deal, but I won't be able to check it out for a while (currently living in Cali) so I was just seeing if anyone had any input.  Any other recommendations for reception sites?  Thanks for any tips!

Re: Reception sites in Olympia

• edited December 2011
    I loved the Grand Holiday Ballroom in Oly it's beautiful and everything is included in the package price so you don't have to hunt down linens and a dj. It was just a tad too expensive for us ($5,500) so we ended up deciding on the Aerie Ballroom in Centralia. I've never been to the ballroom at the onion, though. How's the price? Another good reception site is the Gibson House in Centralia if you're not opposed to going a little further south.
  • edited December 2011
    The ballroom at the Urban Onion has some beautiful old hardwood floors. It is a truly beautiful room. My thought would be about parking though. It's down town and there isn't any parking near by. It is also on the second floor if I remember correctly so if there are any guests that have difficulties going up and down stairs you may want to take that into consideration. It really is a beautiful place though! Great food too if you're looking at them for catering. I hope this helps!
  • edited December 2011
    I think the Urban Onion's food is terrible. It is very bland. Can you get the catering from elsewhere?
  • edited December 2011

Way late to post, but......I had my senior prom there (in 1985) it is beautiful!  The one thing I remember is that the floors squeaked.  I'm not sure if it has been remodeled since then, sorry I don't have more info.

• edited December 2011
    The parking is an issue because there isn't a designated lot but there is plenty of street parking. If you are having a weekend wedding there is a fun gay bar on the main level- I think it is still called the back door lounge. I would ask if other events get a lot of crashers.
    The grand Holiday Ballroom was pretty in the day light but on my tour they refused to turn the lights on so I could see the place which has left a bad taste in my mouth. They are pricey and are still working out the bugs as a new business from what I hear.

you don't mention your budget or guest count so I'm not sure where else to direct you. South sound manor was really pretty inside but needs a few more years for the trees to fill out and block the great view of the cemetery. The View point at west bay Marina is priced nicely but lacks space. 
    Can you tell I'm still on the mission for my perfect fit too. lol
  • JeanLahtiJeanLahti member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  We checked out the Urban Onion ballroom and I can see that it has potential, but I wasn't overly impressed.  There were what looked like bullet holes in some windows (?!), some duct tape on the wood floor and it was very plain.  I was told they will be doing some renovations over the next year, (new windows, paint, cleaning the curtains) but I think it would take quite a lot of decorating to make it feel festive.  We've also looked at the Lacey Community Center (which was nice enough but smelled like my high school gym for some reason...also it would be a bit of a drive from our church downtown) and we have an appointment to see The Heritage Room this Wednesday.  I have high hopes!  I love the location of it (right off Capitol Lake on Water St.) and Occassions catering (which they use) seems to have some reasonably priced options.  They also should be able to fit our party, which will be around 200.  So if you're still looking, faith4bic, I'd say it would be a good place to check out!  I'll post after I visit.  (Oh and I entirely agree about South Sound Manor...it would be so hard to be celebratory when you're practically in the middle of a cemetary!)
  • edited December 2011
    The Gibson House in Centralia went out of business and tried to keep my deposit untill I threatened to press charges... I don't know if they have since re-opened with new owners but I wouldn't touch that place with a 50 foot stick. I'm getting married at the Lacey Community Center... it's a pretty blank slate but it will be fun decorating it. Only thing is they book 12 to 14 months in advance if you are looking for a summer wedding.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards