California-San Diego

Catering help!?

So I am just starting to dabble into looking at caterers and (surprise!) they cost a lot more than what I had thought. I knew that food would be the most expensive thing at the wedding, but I initially thought that the cost of the servers and whatnot was included in the price per person. That being said, I'd like to find out a ballpark figure of what other ladies are spending on their food. I'm expecting 75 or so people at my wedding and have received quotes of about $5,000-$7,000. Some of these quotes include alcohol, some don't. Is this low, normal, or high? If it helps at all, we're going to have Mexican food...any advice helps! :)

Re: Catering help!?

• edited December 2011
    Here is what we had at our wedding for 130 people:

--Apps: hummus and pita, crab stuffed mushrooms, fruit display
    --Buffet dinner: Caesar salad, garlic breadsticks, tortilla chips and salsa, wild rice with mushrooms, grilled vegetables, tri tip beef, sauteed chicken breast
    --Beverages**: sodas, coffee, water
    --Services: setup, clean up, servers for apps and buffet, champagne service w/plastic flutes, cake cutting, bartender for 6 hours, upgrade on our plates to square plastic, 18% service & labor charge, sales tax, 15% gratuity

All of the above for 130 people: $3612.19

Our caterer: West Coast Catering (someone on this board recommended them to me!)  http://www.westcoastcater.com/cateringSanDiego/index.htm

They were great to work with, the food was delicious and they offer a lot of choices, both in food and in services. Their basic package includes disposable plates, napkins, etc. but you can upgrade to china, silverware, linen napkins, etc. They also offer a discounted price for children. They have serveral Mexican food options on their menu. But they only do buffet service, not sit down/plated (not sure which you're going for). HTH and good luck!

**We were able to bring in our own alcohol at our venue and we spent $300 on beer, wine and champagne, so we just had to pay for the bartender.

imageimage
  • lagle22lagle22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Renee and the French Gourmet is who we used for our catering for the rehearsal dinner. 
    she was great!

40 people - $1100 it did not include alcohol... and renting tables was an extra $350.

Good food and she also does coordinating and she did a great job at both.
  • anlindstanlindst member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Wild Thyme for 80 people and for $6,700 it includes the following.. hope this helps:
    - 4 tray passed hors d'oeuvres
    - Cheese and charcuterie display
    - shrmp cocktail display
    - Pre set salads at each place
    - 2 Dinner Action statios, including prime rib and  turkey, and then a pasta,
    - Setup for the bar - everything except the alchohol that we supply ourselves - but all mixers, soda drinks, ice, garnish, etc
    - Deluxe coffee bar station
    - 3 food servers, 2 bartenders and 2 chefs
    - decorations/floral for all the stations/bar area, and they will also be lending us a tiered cupcake stand, and all of their candle votives for all our tables
    - includes taxes, service charge, etc

Does not incldue:
    - plates/silverware/etc - we have to rent all of this from thevparty rental place. also have to rent tables for all the stations and linens.
    - we are supplying the cupcakes from another source
  • pinkie798pinkie798 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    lagle22 did that cost include linens, flateware, etc? We are trying to get everything all inclusive to make things easier for ourselves:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards