California-San Diego

Reception at Home

Hi Ladies,

I was wondering if anyone here has had their wedding reception at home. DH and I recently got married (JOP) two weeks ago and we were planning on having a big wedding to celebrate a year later, but most of our family members would not have had the opportunity to celebrate this occasion with us since his family is from Illinois and my family lives in California. So we decided to have two small receptions instead of one huge.

So my questions are: I was wondering what were the pro's and cons? how where you able to decorate your backyard? do you have any pictures or examples? and if you have any advice?

Re: Reception at Home

• ekilzer1ekilzer1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If I were you I would cross post this in DIY and Budget Weddings... A lot of the ladies in Budget weddings have backyard weddings and might be more help! 

I would just stick to a lot of natural decoration- flowers on the table... my friend had an outdoor wedding (at a venue tho) and had a lot of mason jars filled with sand with tea lights in it... it made a very romantic setting. 

It really depends what month you are planning your reception in- San Diego has awesome weather for most months, but if you are going for something in late summer (July, August, and sometimes even into Sept) you will likely want a tent- the sun can get pretty intense, and a tent is pretty easy to decorate. You might want to consider one regardless of the month- especially because weather can unpredictable here (for example... it was 70 without a cloud in the sky... Today it is overcast, and while I haven't been outside it looks chilly). 

Good luck! 
  • edited December 2011
    Hi! I am a San Diego planner and I have done a lot of at home receptions. It makes sense for a lot of couples, especially those all about food fun and family! Use your natural surroundings and build your theme from there. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards