California-San Diego
Options

Cocktail reception -vs- seated and buffet

Just wondering... I was looking into having a cocktail reception with semi-heavy Hors d'oeuvres. Also, the reception will be on a weekday. I've looked into a couple caterers and they've sent proposals that seemed similar priced (if not more) than what we were expecting to pay for a sit down dinner. Is that unusual? I thought a cocktail reception would save us some money? About how much should we expect to pay (or save) by doing a cocktail reception? Thanks for our help in advance!

Re: Cocktail reception -vs- seated and buffet

• Options
    When I first started planning I thought about doing a cocktail and hors d'oeuvres menu but it didn't end up being any cheaper because of all the different hors d'oeuvers.n  We ended up going with a buffet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto what zubrod said... cocktail/hors d'oeuvres menus usually cost just as much as a full meal menu, so you won't save that much. I would suggest doing a cake and punch reception at an off-meal time (early afternoon or later in the evening) if you really want to save. Or, check out BBQ or Mexican food places that cater... their prices are cheaper than other typical event caterers, and you could probably serve a full meal depending on your budget. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks! A cocktail reception is more our style. We actually didn't think it would be any cheaper until a friend said she ended up saving $ that way. I figured the food prep and roving servers would be the same.
  • Options
    It may depend on the caterer - but generally, prices for appetizer receptions run in the same range as full meal prices. Doesn't hurt to keep looking around though!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Agreed that pricing will likely match that of the full meal, but you should seek out alternative caterers. There are SO many out there! I would recommend Indigo Cafe & Catering. They did our corporate summer party at a smashing deal and the hors d'oeuvres were the best part! You can also usually give a caterer your budget and have them work with it...go with different types of ingredients, etc.

Good luck!
    Esther
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards