California-San Diego

We just moved!

H and I recently moved to SD from Cincinnati, Ohio. H was offered a great job opportunity out here and we accepted right away. H has lived here since April-ish, I've been here since late August. 

We've been to a lot of the "big" stuff that is in all of the tourist books and all that, but I'm interested in hearing anything anyone here loves about SD. 

H is frequnetly out of the country for his job and my profession takes awhile to transfer from state to state so I'm on my own a bit. 

Anyone have any advice/ favorite spots in SD/ places to avoid in SD/ things I should know?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: We just moved!

• edited December 2011
    My favorite things to do in San Diego:

Sunset Cliffs in Ocean Beach (OB)
    Kate Sessions Park in Pacific Beach (PB)
    Cabrillo Nat'l Monument
    Mt. Soledad
    Driving down the big hill on Niagara Ave towards the beach in OB
    Hash House for brunch in Hillcrest
    El Camino restaurant in South Park
    Buffalo Exchange in Hillcrest
    Fashion Valley Mall
    Hotel Del Coronado
    Bike riding anywhere near the beach in La Jolla or Coronado
    Searsucker restaurant downtown
    Indigo Grill in Little Italy
    Farmers market in Little Italy on Saturdays
    Farmers market in OB on Wednesdays
    Kobes swap meet on Saturdays and Sundays
    Buffet brunch at the Catamaran in PB (request to be seated outside)
    Having a cocktail in the sun at Wavehouse in PB (during a beach day)
    Having wine & cheese in Little Italy, randomly deciding on somewhere while reading the menus along India Ave
    Hiking Mission Trails
    Hiking Cowles Mountain and enjoying the view at the top
    Going to a Padres game (just bc it's cheap and local)
    Strolling through all the antique shops on Newport Ave in OB

and many others, that's just all I can think of right now.

Welcome to San Diego!! :D

• edited December 2011
    Places I highly recommend:
    Botanical Gardens in Encinitas
    Free Musuem Tuesday for residents in Balboa Park
    Balboa Park in general just to walk and wander
    Buy a membership to the zoo, really affordable and one of my favorite purchases
    Mission Bay also a great spot to walk and wander
    Cabrillo Monument (amazing views)

I'd avoid:
    Gaslamp/Downtown on the weekend (unless that is your scene, but personally way too crowded for me)
    The bars in Pacific Beach (much more of a college vibe)

I've been in SD for 2 1/2 years. During a 6 month period of "fun-employment" I took the time to get to know the city. It really has a lot to do at little or no cost.

Have fun exploring and welcome to the area!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-san-diego_just-moved?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:64Discussion:7e3a38f4-fe8a-469d-9366-c0f340503f9aPost:cf751c81-4547-4ddc-8239-fa8d1e942d88">Re: We just moved!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Places I highly recommend: Botanical Gardens in Encinitas Free Musuem Tuesday for residents in Balboa Park Balboa Park in general just to walk and wander Buy a membership to the zoo, really affordable and one of my favorite purchases Mission Bay also a great spot to walk and wander Cabrillo Monument (amazing views) I'd avoid: Gaslamp/Downtown on the weekend (unless that is your scene, but personally way too crowded for me) <strong>The bars in Pacific Beach (much more of a college vibe)</strong> I've been in SD for 2 1/2 years. During a 6 month period of "fun-employment" I took the time to get to know the city. It really has a lot to do at little or no cost. Have fun exploring and welcome to the area!
    Posted by swigdor[/QUOTE]

I second that! Stay away from bars in PB unless you want to be around younger people drinking solely for the purpose of getting drunk . lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards