California-San Diego

Rehearsal Dinner Ideas

My Fiance and I are covering the rehearsal dinner oursleves and are looking for something somewhat inexpensive. We will be having a large group so having a private area/ room is ideal. We also have 90% of our guests coming from out of town so would like something near the water so they could enjoy being near the beach. Any ideas or recommendations greatly appreciated!

Re: Rehearsal Dinner Ideas

• What is your budget? How many people total? Any cuisine preferences? What part of town is the rehearsal in? (you won't want people to have to drive too far for dinner)
  • Ideally we would like to spend less than $20 a person and are having about 30 people. We are getting married in Point Loma so would like to stay in that area (Old Town, OB, PB, Point Loma, Mission Valley). It doesnt need to be formal at all. I am more concerned with having the privacy and room for everyone to mingle.
  • Hmmm, Costa Brava? Or that tapas place on Turquoise? The Fishery on Cass St is really nice. I'm not coming up with anything on Point Loma. Bali Hai would probably be kind of expensive. Maybe the Brigantine?
  • Nati's in Ocean Beach? They have a side of the restraunt you can reserve. It's right next to the OB Pier. Low key, reasonably priced. It's a locals place and it's real Mexican SoCal style.

It's an old family tradition in Point Loma/OB.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-san-diego_rehearsal-dinner-ideas-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:64Discussion:8e53ad8c-fa78-41ec-bfa3-0763561bfce2Post:e49e64b8-26b9-4e47-a702-d8ceec67f317">Re: Rehearsal Dinner Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ideally we would like to spend less than $20 a person and are having about 30 people. We are getting married in Point Loma so would like to stay in that area (Old Town, OB, PB, Point Loma, Mission Valley). It doesnt need to be formal at all. I am more concerned with having the privacy and room for everyone to mingle.
    Posted by danilinsday[/QUOTE]

<div>I know you wanted something by the beach, but what about Phil's BBQ in Point Loma? Their food is delish (provided you like BBQ) and they have a private room that can be rented - Phil's Event Center. I have inquired about events there before. I think they can put together something within your budget, and Chad (the Event Center coordinator dude) was really nice and helpful each time I talked to him.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Phil's is so yummy. Tower 23 has a private room upstairs I think, right on the water.
  • Phil's is really yummy! We are having them cater our reception. :) The tapas place on Turquoise is very delicious as well, but I don't think they have a private room - not sure though. What about Miguel's in Point Loma for Mexican, or better yet Cafe Coyote in Old Town? I know they have separate rooms that would be a little more private. We are thinking of doing Fred's in Old Town since that is where we had our first date but again, I don't think there are any separate rooms.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • cafe coyote in old town has private rooms... you might be able to request the upstairs area all to yourself as well.  it would be fun for out of town guest to have authentic mexican and to see old town while they are in SD.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-san-diego_rehearsal-dinner-ideas-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:64Discussion:8e53ad8c-fa78-41ec-bfa3-0763561bfce2Post:055bb671-a16b-491e-84d1-185a9db7e638">Re: Rehearsal Dinner Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tower 23 has a private room upstairs I think, right on the water.
    Posted by S6ix[/QUOTE]

FYI, Tower 23 is NOT cheap. 

I'm also searching for a RD venue... we are considering Phils & looking for other spots too.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    engaged on 5/29/11... Kelly & Andy to be married -- September 29, 2012
  • We actually ended up finding a little coffee shop close to the venue. Its very cute and we are able to rent out the entire upstairs for $100. We will just have sandwiches, beer, and drinks. We didnt want and couldnt afford a typical sit down dinner. When I started planning the RD I felt like I was planning a small reception again, it was just getting too ridiculous. This is simple and comfortable for everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards