California-San Diego

Accomodating hotels in San Diego for wedding guests?

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the hotels in San Diego. We have a lot of guests coming from out of town (Utah and Minnesota) for a 09-01-2012 wedding and are looking for affordable hotels. Has anyone found any that gave good wedding discounts for a large number of rooms booked? I should note that our wedding is in La Jolla, but we live in North Park. Looking for a hotel closer to us than to the reception site. And affordable for our guests is <$130/night.... times are hard.

Re: Accomodating hotels in San Diego for wedding guests?

• AllyG303AllyG303 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at the Sheraton Hotel & Marina, and they gave us a fantastic deal on rooms (not sure if it's because our wedding is there or if they normally give good deals).  We held 40 rooms for next July when their average room price is between $300-400 and got them for $139/night.  We're also not responsible for paying for any unused rooms, so it's a win-win.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • LauraChristinLauraChristin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good job, Ally! I got ours downtown cut down from $300 / night to $179 / night without having to pay for unused rooms. We just had to have our reservations in 1 month in advance so they could release any remaining rooms. We were able to find a couple lower rates but they weren't very much lower ($10 or $20 / night) and we would have had to pay for anything not booked - scary! That's a great deal you got, though.

OP, I suggest negotiating as much as possible especially on the unused room thing. Inquire about holding your rehearsal dinner at the hotel as well to see if you can save there somehow too.
  • SheliaPierceSheliaPierce member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

You should check out www.hotelplanner.com. You can have them search for hotels in your preferred area including costs, amenities, attrition and allow you to compare all offers within your price range while remaining anonymous to all hotels until you select a hotel to book - then your info is provided to that specific hotel only by your request. It's a free service to you and could be helpful since you are a little over 9 months out.  You should check it out.

Good luck and congrats to you!

Shelia

• wendysandiegowendysandiego member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wedding was in La Jolla too ( La Jolla Shores Hotel), and we did a room block with the Best Western in La Jolla and got a great rate.  We also did a smaller one at the Empress Hotel.  I actually  used the San Diego Visitors Bureau to organize it all. I don't know if they still have the service, but they set up a temporary website for us, and hotels in the area competed for our room block.  Their bids were posted on the site, and we just picked. 
  • geguillengeguillen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We reserved rooms at the Courtyard Marriot and Homewood Suites by the Airport/Liberty Station. The rooms at Courtyard were $119 a night and the rooms at the Homewood Suites started at $155.They have free shuttles to and from the airport which was perfect for all of our out of town guests. Also, when I was calling hotels most of them required a minimum of rooms to be booked, if not, you would get charged a percentage. The courtyard and homewood suites did not have that requirement.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi, my name is Maryann Roberts and I am the Event Coordinator at Barfly La Jolla. We can host your Meet and Greet and after the wedding events. I wanted to tell you about The Empress Hotel located on Fay St in La Jolla. Kristin Hunter is the wedding planner and she can assist you with your room block. Her phone number is 858-454-3001 ext. 155.

If i can help you with any arrangements please call me at 917-923-8350.

Thank you,
    Maryann
    www.aromalajolla.com
    www.barflylajolla.com
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-san-diego_accomodating-hotels-san-diego-wedding-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:64Discussion:95311a42-eea5-473a-8aea-a3669657ddafPost:605eca3f-6f90-4bbd-8f82-b85688b81c21">Re: Accomodating hotels in San Diego for wedding guests?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I actually  used the San Diego Visitors Bureau to organize it all. I don't know if they still have the service, but they set up a temporary website for us, and hotels in the area competed for our room block.  Their bids were posted on the site, and we just picked. 
    Posted by wendysandiego[/QUOTE]

<div>That's a great service! I'm going to check it out. Thanks for the tip!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards