California-San Diego

Planning a San Diego wedding in 10 weeks. Suggestions?

Hello,
My daughter and her fiance have rescheduled their October wedding to May 31.
Tonight we're all sitting down together (all parents and the happy couple) for a major joint planning session.
Here's what's already done:
1. Venue (ceremony and reception at same site)
2. Officiant
3. Rings
4. Her gown (provided our super-rush arrives as promised--if not, we punt!)
5. Invitations
6. Photographer
7. Reception band

Left to do:
Flowers
cake
bridesmaids' clothes
groomsmen's clothes
shower planning (not our issue, I know--her girls will handle that)
ceremony music
ring bearer's pillow/flower girl basket (I'm making those out of my wedding gown)
all the options and small details: favors, guest book, etc

Please offer me your best advice on what to tackle first, great vendors you've found, all that stuff.

Thanks!

Re: Planning a San Diego wedding in 10 weeks. Suggestions?

• edited December 2011
    Wholesale Flowers on Metro Ave does beautiful work and is very afforable. 

www.flowersandsupplies.com/

Good luck!
  • SheilaSSheilaS member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    For cake check out Sumi's Oven.  Her cakes are YUMMY and pretty affordable (and beautiful of course!).
  • edited December 2011

Check out:

FOR FLOWERS:

Flowers for you
    6993 El Cajon Blvd 
    San Diego, CA 92115
     Phone: (619) 460-8980

Go in the morning and ask for Marie. She's the main girl and manager that handles order for weddings (at least to my knowledge). She has done great work for me before and will be taking care of my wedding flowers.

For ARTS & CRAFT (besides Micheals):

Beverly's
    6185 Balboa Ave
    San Diego, CA 92111

Or buy supplies from: www.save-on-crafts.com

They are in northern cal and ships fairly quickly. We got our order within a week and a half.

----
    Party favors...if you ever have time, go up to LA.

Hit the toy district.

California Silk, Inc
    424 South San Pedro Street
    Los Angeles, CA 90013

They carry a large variety of silk flowers, party favors, vases, lights, tea lights and seasonal items.

I bought all of my guest silk flowers there.
    This is a wholesale place, so you'll be buying in bulk.

Those plastic swans you can but jordan almonds in? You can find them there. In packs of 50 for a few bucks. They have organza mini bags if you are looking for those.

I can't name everything I found there right off the bat, but I would spend a day there and browse around.

Not open on Sunday, so go during a weekday or a Saturday. Never pass 5 pm. 

Plenty of other shops out there that can help you & your daughter with your decoration need.
    ------

best of luck to you and the happy couple :) Congrats!

• SheilaSSheilaS member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, everyone :)
  • edited December 2011
    I suggest for cake:  Shirley the Cake Lady - she is wonderful to work with.  And affordable.  Here is her website:  http://www.shirleythecakelady.com/index.php

For flowers - I have heard good things about wholesale flowers.  I met with Thomas from Lotus Flowers - love him and all of his designs.  Here is his contact information:

www.lotusflowersshop.com

(619) 280-2688
    6171 Mission Gorge Rd, #111, San Diego, CA 92120

Also Sally with Exquisite Blooms - I met with her, very sweet girl.  www.exquisiteblooms.com

For bridesmaids - I went to Alfred Angelo, they were very helpful, my dress came in within 2 weeks!  My bridesmaids took about 8 weeks. 
    (858) 292-7411
    9240 Clairemont Mesa Blvd
    San Diego, CA

The first things I would do is get bridesmaids attire ordered, then cake, florist, ceremony music. 

The little things such as favors, guest book, etc - can be done on your time, and you do not have to worry about them already being booked.  I love Michael's, be sure to look in Sunday's paper for their fliers or go online and print out their coupons.  When I first started planning my wedding I would take a friend with me, we each would use a 40-50% off coupon to buy all I needed.  I made my pomanders, my centerpieces and saved a lot of money that way. 

Good luck!!
  • uwtigerlilyuwtigerlily member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FLOWERS
    I like to compare apples to apples.  I got a "vision" and a quote from Tessilk Flowers.  Took that "vision" and got quotes at three other places.  Tessilk Flowers came in at half the price of each of them!  And Tess (the owner) is a real sweetheart. 
    Tessilk Flowers
    1445 3rd Avenue
    Chula Vista
    619-427-3476

FAVORS
    The cheapest favors we found were at favorfavor dot com.  We got personalized champagne flutes.  They were quick, quality product, and arrived with not one break!

CAKE
    Again, I shopped around.  Eccentric International Bakery in Santee came in at the best price (we got a discount due to the venue relationship).  They are really easy to work with, and the cakes are AMAZING!!

GUESTBOOK
    Did they do engagement session yet?  We had photos from our engagement session put in a book...  one side is the picture, the other side is blank for our guests to sign!

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Please check out www.flawlessbeautyonline.com if you need a makeup/hair artist!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi, Check out my website at www.sweetribbonevents.com.
    Sweet Ribbon performs the work of multiple creative vendors. All services you need available in one company. Here’s what we provide:
    • Event design and decorations.
    • Creative graphic design for invitations, cards and other stationery
    • Specialty linens
    • Floral arrangements
    • Cakes and desserts
    Give me a call and ask for "the wedding package".
    858-232-0759 or email me at laura@sweetribbonevents.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards