California-San Diego

We don't agree on what our reception will be like!

Hi girls,
Well, my ex-husband and i are getting re-married :) The first time was at the courthouse in Vegas after 12 days of knowing one another....no one was there but us.  It lasted 3 years.  Was off for 2...fast forward 7 more years and two sons...I never thought I'd want to get married again, but i am swept away with the excitement and romance of it.  He proposed in Feb.  Now, we're agreed on a really quaint, sweet ceremony, BUT, he then wants people to have a few cocktails and leave...game over.  I totally want a swinging party!  His worry is all the money we will spend and he absolutely refuses to let my dad pay for it.  We have the money...it's just he'd rather spend it on the honeymoon.  I'm torn.  I agree with him on the vacation part, but don't want to lose my "wedding" a second time.  I wish i could have both!  I'm desperately trying to come up with a compromise.  Any suggestions fellow San Diegans???  How can I throw a great party for 60 without spending thousands?

Re: We don't agree on what our reception will be like!

• frenchy730frenchy730 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Look into outdoor parks... you can rent areas at Balboa park for a pretty low cost.  Or you can try the SD Parks & Rec website and they have lists of parks where you can get permits for wedding receptions... usually only a few hundred dollars.  Then you have the chance to bring in all your own vendors or make your own food to bring, etc.  The only downside is that usually the party hast to end relatively early, and some of them might require you to  bring in a generator if you want power, and there can sometimes be an extra fee or restrictions for that.

The trick is to find unique places that do not specialize in weddings.  You can do it.
  • MonciaanneMonciaanne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What if you looked into having the reception at a restaurant or a friend's house.  My parents and their friends had receptions at personal residences and they each turned out really beautiful and was very personal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards