Minnesota
Options

Help getting started...

I recently got engaged and am trying to figure out the natural progression of time.  I am an OVER planner and my fiance is the exact opposite (definitely a procrastinator).  When would you suggest to start looking for a venue and such?  I have heard that finding the right location can be the hardest, and most important step.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Help getting started...

• Options
    katiereimerkatiereimer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i just got engaged in april and we just kinda started planning this month we picked a date for next august we still are looking for a place, have a few in mind. once you pick one thing it kind of all falls into place i think.
    Teagan Rae 8-21-12 born on due date/ 9 lbs 4 oz 22 in
  • Options
    maggie1220maggie1220 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Do you need a photographer for your engagement photos?

• Options
    brimavenbrimaven member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you definitely need to get the venue and ceremony location (church, or other site) first because they set your date. After that you should focus on one thing at a time, so instead of dealing with 50 vendors you are only looking at a few. Start with the more time sensitive vendors, lik Photog, DJ, and limo, because they will be the ones that could be sold out. then work on less time sensitive ones like cake, flowers, and decor.

If you go to a bridal show, have an idea of which kind of vendors you want to see, otherwise it can be hugely overwhelming. Be sure to bring labels with your contact info.

Most importantly, almost all of the magazines say never to hire a friend. It's nice to support their business, but not with your wedding. Spend a couple of bucks to hire professionals.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I also just got engaged in June and I was incredibly overwhelmed at first!  I agree with Brimaven on her helpful hints- only we ended up getting quotes from nearly every venue in the Twin Cities, and we looked at probably 8 different sites!  The hardest decision so far as been to choose the spot, but once we did that we were able to pick our date based on their availability.  

You also might want to start by putting together a guest list so you have an idea of how many people you'll invite - that can have play a huge factor in where you book the ceremony and reception. 

Good luck w/all your planning!

• Options
    jcamm11jcamm11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You don't have a date till you have a ceremony and reception venue
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards