Ohio-Cincinnati

Plates for the wedding

I am having an outdoor reception and trying to find a more cost effective way to have my guests eat off of real plates with silverware and glasses (not too much to ask, right?!)  But every caterer in our price range charges a ton to upgrade to china.  For dinner plates, utensils, salad plates and glasses we are looking at an additional 1100.  Help!  Our budget is small so get creative girls!!

Re: Plates for the wedding

• wright944wright944 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2012
    I was baffled by that too. It was crazy, one wanted to charge me $12.75 for the food and $12.50 for the china. CRAZY!!! 

Anyway, what I found was that the caterers who also had event centers or spaces charged much much less for china than those who were only outside caterers. I was told it was because those that are outside caterers usually go to a rental company and rent all of the china for their events instead of having it already in-house. 

I am not sure if you have any restricitons with your venue that you are allowed to use, but if not I would suggest places like the RSVP on Wards Corner (That's who we are using they are called Village Pantry), Funky's didnt charge too much, maybe receptions does outside. 

Village Pantry is only charging us $3.50 per person for all of the china. 

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you have time, why not check out craigslist and yard sales. Mark Garber Photography Facebook page recently had an album "Liz and Ryan" that had chairs, decor and place settings all from yard sales and other random finds. They had mismatched plates and chairs it was very cute and definitely unique!

If you wanted to go a more matched route - Prime Time Party Rental out of Dayton, Ohio has dinner plates starting at $0.35/plate. They rent flatware and glassware as well. All of their pricing can be found online.
  • We have flatware and wine glasses you could rent. We finally broke down and purchased it all for our wedding because every place wanted to give us plastic stuff. But we actually are renting our plates (wedding in 4 days) at I think $.55 from a place on reading road in Cincinnati.
    That is the true season of love when we believe that we alone can love, that no one could have ever loved as much before, and that no one will ever love in the same way again
  • I know you want it to be nice and pretty but trust me no one care if you have nice china or throw away plates.  As I have said before this is my 2nd wedding and you learn what is importent and what really isnt..lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards