Ohio-Cincinnati
Options

Reserving hotel rooms for guests?

HI!

Just wondering about reserving hotel rooms for guests...

How do you go about doing this? I am not sure how many rooms I will need...

Also, our reception is at the Madison in Covington...does anyone suggest a particular hotel?? Any that I should stay away from??

Re: Reserving hotel rooms for guests?

• Options
    hsnodgrahsnodgra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hotels do it differently... some make you block off rooms 10 at a time, some make you pay for the rooms if you request more to be reserved than you actually fill. I'd just call a couple and see what works for you. You might also want to ask whoever you have been working with at The Madison - they probably have recommendations.

Our reception is at the Covington Embassy Suites so I am obviously using them. I kind of forget the details on reserving rooms though... wedding isn't until April, so I have not worried about it much! I have seen the rooms though, and they are nice - they renovated a year or two ago. Embassy also does the free continental breakfast the next morning - yum!

Also, I know some of the Covington hotels (not Embassy Suites) do have shuttle services for guests that are staying - they'll take people to and from the reception. Might be worth looking into!

Hope that helps.

• Options
    andersjcandersjc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am having my reception at The Madison. We reserved rooms at Holiday Inn and The Raddison in Covington because they were the cheapest rates and they didn't have a minimum # to be filled. About 2-3 weeks before the wedding the block opens up to the public. I sent STDs in January to let people know this. There is no shuttle from either of these hotels. I think The Madison has a deal with another hotel (with shuttle) but their rates were 50 dollars more a night.
  • Options
    brownd9brownd9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are also having our reception at the Madison. They suggested either the Covington Holiday Inn or Marriott. We called both to get some information and here is what I was told...

Marriott will provide a shuttle free of charge to and from The Madison if 15 rooms are booked the night of your wedding. I don't know specific pricing but if you look online the normal price is about $100-130/night.

The Holiday Inn will provide a shuttle if 20 rooms are booked, but these rooms can be for anytime that weekend. (so for example if you reserve a room fri & sat night that would count as 2). They also offered to keep their hotel bar open late for us to have an "after party" type of deal. Also their room rates were slight cheaper than the Marriott. We are going to check them out tomorrow to see if we like it. Will let you know how it goes!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm in the minority, but I didn't do a hotel block.  Most of my guests were local, and I had all price points in the OOT guests.  I checked the chamber of commerce and nothing major was going on that weekend and just sent 'recommended' hotels.  I included the Cincinnatian, the Marriott Rivercenter, the Comfort Inn Newport, and the HI Express in Newport.  Most of my guests picked the cheapest hotel.  It was brand new at the time, and where we got ready, but surprisingly nice. 

So look at your guest list and see if it is an added stress for you.  It might not be necessary. 
  • Options
    Sarah GerthSarah Gerth member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!

I would say at least 40% of our guest are out of towners and it is the Saturday after Thanksgiving so it will most likely be a busy time. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, the person you are working with at The Madison may have a contact person for you and may suggest a certain hotel. Sometimes you can get discounts for blocked rooms. You can add that info to your website if you have one. A lot of times the guests need to book in advance of the wedding so make sure that is in BOLD somewhere!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto on asking help from the Madison!  I know someone who used to work there and they informed me that a bride can ask for pretty much anything and the staff will oblige to keep up on good customer service.  Ask them to call around at local hotels to get you quotes and the rundown and then provide that back to you so you can make a decision.  You've got too many other wedding details to deal with - let their staff take this on to help you out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards