May 2011 Weddings

How Soon?

Hello Ladies~ I am new to this board and wanted to ask how soon all of you are booking vendors?  I just set my date last month and have reserved our ceremony/reception location, interviewed a dj & know who my photographer is gonna be.  Just wondering how soon everyone else was booking a florist, bakery, etc.  Everyone keeps asking me questions and my response so far has been... "I have plenty of time".  And their response is usually... "No, you really don't."  But I also have ran into vendors who won't even speak to me b/c our date is so far off.  Let me know your thoughts. 

Re: How Soon?

• I got engaged in January.

By February I had my photographer booked
       I did no research here though, I already knew who I wanted

By March I had my band booked
        Did no real research here, once we moved our date to a Friday the band was in the budget!!

By May/June I had my venue (same for ceremony and reception) booked
        This was a long process for me and FI we looked for a few months
      We also talked to the minister, and had him locked in around here too

By early September I had booked the florist 
       This took me a while I researched all summer

Hope this helps!!!

I am currently researching videographers, and stationary companies....
    image Planning Bio Wedding Planning Website Updated 7/21/11
  • We just booked our ceremony and reception this week which was the first day that both places started taking bookings.  Our officiant won't start taking bookings for another month or so.

I plan to start interviewing photographers soon so that I can have that booked relatively soon.  There are a few photogs in our area that come highly recommended and they book up fast.

It really varies from vendor to vendor about when they start taking bookings.  Just do your research and you'll be fine.  I wouldn't put too much stock in listening to what other people have to say.  As long as you stay on top of it, it'll be fine.
  • You're way ahead of me! We got engaged in September and I haven't booked anything yet! My fiance's sister is getting married Jan 2, 2010 so his family hasn't even had a moment to sit down and discuss our wedding with us yet. Until we get some idea of how many people we're expecting I can't really do much.

That being said I plan to start booking Jan 3!!!!
  • -I got engaged in Feb.
    -We booked our venue in July.
    -Booked our videographer in Oct.
    -Just booked our photographer two nights ago :)
    -We are researching DJs and will book hopefully before Christmas. 

I wanted to book those 4 things and then relax until Spring.  I figure by then we will be at the 1 year mark.  Then I will begin dress shopping and looking for a florist.  I will continue doing research online and gaining ideas for my DIY components and looking for dresses online.

GL!!
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • we can't  book our venue for another month

started researching photographers

booked our videographer (who is a friend of ours, actually)

haven't even thought much about florists

the venue package includes the dj, the cake, the centerpieces, the favors, the officiant, the ceremony, and the food- so im not looking too much into those- except for reviews :)
    Married!! 5.7.11
    image image
    my read shelf:
    Jillian's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards