Ohio-Cincinnati

Anyone else not doing a wedding registry and just asking for donations to a charity?

We are doing a bridal registry (a small one) for my bridal showers (we have a big family so they are throwing me 4) and have decided to do a donation to charity for the wedding if people were going to bring a gift.
How do we get this word out? We will have three containers for the different charities and they can donate to but we dont know how to go about doing this. Do we put a note in with the invitations or will it be more of a word of mouth kind of thing? We will post it on our wedding blog.

Thanks!!

Re: Anyone else not doing a wedding registry and just asking for donations to a charity?

• edited December 2011
    First and Foremost I think it's very nice of you to do this and I'm sure those charities are very grateful.

Just food for thought... if I were a guest to your wedding... I might hesitate giving $ to a charity. I would want to give you a gift or at least money. Again, while I think it's a super neat and nice idea, I already give to my own charity and would want to give you guys something. Just something to think about.

To get the word around... I would count on word of mouth. You usually don't post where you are registered in your invitations, so I wouldn't post that announcement in their either. If you have a website, that would be a good place to start?

Again, I don't mean to offend anyone... just a thought of someone on the outside. :)
  • edited December 2011
    I appreciate your thoughts! I had not thought about it from that perspective. I dont want anyone to feel pressured either.

What my FI had suggested is that we give any money gifted to us to a charity or do favors that have poker chip style coins worth 1.00 and then tell people to drop them all in one or mix them between three charity bowls and then we make the donation in the amount each charity bowl turns up with.

Ughhhh I dont know! lol It is funny that the way to do this has been the most stressful part of the planning...lol
  • edited December 2011

No matter what you decide to do, you'll probably still get a hand full of people who will bring a gift, card, and/or money for you. So I don't know if you'll be able to dodge that completely.

At your showers you could have your maid of honor or family spread the word requesting donations to charities in lieu of gifts.

What about doing a charity donation in lieu of favors?

Good Luck!

• edited December 2011
    First of all, do not put anything about this in with your wedding invitations. 

Second, I don't think there is a good way to do this.  It's one thing to spread via word of mouth that you would prefer that guests donate to a charity of their choice in your name, rather than bringing a tangible gift.  But I think it's another to limit them to the three charities that you like the best.   The problem is, just like they may not like your charity choices, you may not like the charity they choose to donate to in your name.

I like to donate to particular charities, and already do so, and there are many I choose not to donate to, for personal reasons.  If you want to contribute to a charity, then make a donation after the wedding to the charity of your choice.  I just don't think it's ever proper to ask others to do so as a gift to you.
  • ungraceful13ungraceful13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We donated to a very special charity as our favor and got the braclets and are writing a note to tell everyone. We already donate a lot so we would probably prefer to give you a gift.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I appreciate all the comments. Thanks ladies! We have some time to think about it, so we will take all the suggestions to heart and do what feels best.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards