Utah
Options

Friend Officiating Wedding

Hi there,Has anyone had any experience with a friend officiating theirs or a friend's wedding? My fiance and I are not religious and have a very dear friend that would do the job so much better than anyone else we could ever book. I have been through the online websites where he can get ordained a minister and I have checked Utah law where it only says they have to be active in their church or ministry. The online ministry will send out a letter saying that the person is in good standing with the church so I think that solves it. But I just want to be sure this is all legit so if anyone has any advice or experience with this I would greatly appreciate it!Thanks!

Re: Friend Officiating Wedding

• Options
    edited December 2011
    my boyfriend is ordained a minister by the Universal Life Church website. he's married two of our friends and as far as we can tell both marriages are legit. neither couple that has been married have run into any issues legally. hope that helps
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Awesome! That is what I wanted to hear! I know it will be so much more personal having our friend do it. Thanks for the response!Lyndsy
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI's and my officiant is also ordained through the Universal Life Church and so far we have not run into any problems!
  • Options
    roobee1roobee1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My father, who is ordained through ULC, is performing ours. Rest assured that the wedding will be 100% legal (provided all proper documentation is filed w/ the state). In fact, there was a supreme court decision a few years ago regarding whether marriages performed by ministers ordained through ULC were valid. It was decided that they are, and ever will be, fully recognized by state and federal authorities.
    Congratulations and good for you for choosing to go your own way!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards