Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Italy honeymoon this June!!

Hi Ladies,
Has anyone been to Italy out there?
We are going for 15 nights, flying into Naples and out of Venice.
So far we have a hotel that looks AMAZING in Sorrento booked for 5 nights ( Hotel Belair), and are still figuring out Rome, Florence and Venice.
We were thinking 3 days 4 nights in Rome, 2 days 3 nights in both Florence and Venice. Does this sound like a good plan or should we take a day off Rome and add it to Florence or Venice?
Any tips would be much appreciated!
Happy honeymoon planning!
Lees
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Italy honeymoon this June!!

• Options
    15 nights in Italy = a dream!!!! That sounds amazing! I've never been to Florence so I can't speak for that, but 2 days is definitely enough in Venice. Other than a gondola ride, the grand canal, and the Doge's Palace (sp?) there aren't many "must sees" in Venice. Personally I think the best part is just wandering the streets and discovering little restaurants and piazzas so 2 days is definitely enough. I'm not huge on museums so I think 3 days in Rome would be enough as well...definitely enough time to explore and see all of the essential spots! Your honeymoon sounds amazing! Happy Planning!
    Vacation
  • Options
    Italy is amazing and romantic! I've been to all 3 (Venice, Florence, and Rome). I would agree with jsquared62009 that Venice is rather small and 2 days is enough 3-4 days for Rome and Florence is ample time as well. I loved both Florence and Rome and enjoyed the Uffizi and Vatican immensely. Other than that the food was wonderful and the atmosphere was nice. Congratulations, and enjoy!
  • Options
    Aww thanks so much for the replies!!! Sounds like we're on track with our plan...we are sooo excited...bring on the vino and sphagetti mmmm!!!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yay!

FI and I are hoping for an Italian honeymoon as well!  And I've been to Rome and Florence before.

I haven't been to Venice, but I have also heard there isn't as much to do there.  2 days should be good.

Personally, I LOVED Rome and could live there.  I love all the museums, churches, and historical places, so I could spend forever there and not see everything I wanted to see.  Florence was great too, but I felt that the 3 days I spent there were plenty.

I haven't been to Sorrento either, but I'm sure you're going to love it.  Sounds beautiful!

I know there's several people on here that have been to Italy, so feel free to ask more questions about specifics if you need to.

SaveSave
  • Options
    So jealous! Wanted to go back to Italy for the honeymoon but FI really wants to go on a caribbean cruise. 

I've never been to Venice, so I really can't speak to that. However I've been to Florence once and to Rome twice, and I loved both places. 

3 days in Rome is definitely a perfect amount, I'd even push it to 4, but I'm biased. If you're planning on doing all the touristy things, you need at least a day to see Vatican City (the tours are fantastic, but remember to wear long sleeved shirts, they're super strict on dress code), at least a day to explore the Forum and Colliseum, and another day to explore on your own, see the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, etc etc and go shopping. If you can make it, check out the Jewish Quarter, best bakeries EVER, the whole place smells like fresh baked bread, it's fantastic. There was a great hotel I stayed in on my second trip to Rome that was fantastic, called Villa Torlonia. It's in the San Lorenzo/University district, it's safe to walk around at night, and it's close to the subway terminal. 

As for Florence, absolutely loved it there. And you can take a train or a bus to get to Pisa, which is great, definitely a must see. I found Florence to be very cultured, everyone was very friendly, and not quite as many tourists as Rome. However if you're going on June, I don't think the tourist season will be too bad, it's August that really takes a hit, because that's when most Italian's go on holiday, as well as other internationals. Almost everything is closed in August, it sucks. 

I loved Florence, the museums are fantastic (who can resist going to see Michaelangelo's David?) but I preferred Rome myself. I think your timeline sounds great, and I wish I could come in your suitcase! ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards