Honeymoon Discussions

cash or debit card?

Should I bring cash or just use my debit card on our HM to Puerto Rico? I don't have a credit card but I don't know if everywhere there accepts Visa Debit cards. WDYT?

Re: cash or debit card?

• We are just going to FL but we are bringing cash. I think that regardless of where we went, we probably would just bring cash and not use the debit card. FI is paranoid about stuff like that.
  • Take both.  Most places will take your Visa Debit, but you'll want some cash for smaller purchases and there are some places that don't take cards, period. Oh, and call your bank before you leave to let them know you'll be in PR.  It may not matter since it is US, but we had to tell our bank so that they would take our debit cards abroad.
  • i've been to PR a few times. i've always used my debit as well as taking cash from ATMs.

• Your VISA debit card is just like a credit card - so don't worry about not having a credit card. The only concern I would have would be if you need a large security deposit for something, like a car. Make sure you have enough money in your account. Plus bring a little cash for tipping, unless your resort does not allow it.
  • Ok thanks! I don't feel secure carrying large amounts of cash on me, so we'll carry limited amounts and use our Visa debit cards. We're not renting a car so that shouldn't be a concern. Thanks again!
  • take both.  Most places take debit... but there are some mom and pop places that do not.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards