Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Costa Rica Vaccinations?

If you're going to Costa Rica, what vaccinations are you getting?  FI is in medical school and asked at the clinic.  They said Hepatitis A and typhoid definitely, and possibly malaria.Just wanted to see if anyone else heard the same, and if you're getting the malaria one or not.Thanks!

Re: Costa Rica Vaccinations?

• Options
    We are going as well and weren't sure what to get. Do you really think all that is neccessary?
  • Options
    Hep A and typhoid are necessary, according to the medical experts.  I just looked into malaria some more, and unless you're going to the Limon province, there's no real need.  I have to ask our whitewater rafting tour if they go there, because I'm not sure. 
  • Options
    I did check out the CDC's website but people said I was being ridiculous. That we are staying a t nice resort and not to worry. But I just put a call in a travel clinic to get some more information. I will let you know what they say. Where are you staying?
  • Options
    Wow, I've been to Costa a few times and never heard about having to get vaccinations. I think as long as you arn't trekking it in the deep jungle you should be ok. Just make sure you bring your mosquito repellent and be smart about where you go.
  • Options
    We'll be going whitewater rafting and hiking in a couple rainforests, so that's probably why they recommended them.  I'm asking for second opinions, though, because I hate shots!
  • Options
    Our doc said hep A was the only one that was really crucial. She recommended typhoid if we were going to be traveling off the usual tourist excursions or are the kind of people who like to try a lot of local food, but since we planned on staying at our resort the whole time, she said it wasn't really necessary. Malaria pills were recommended if traveling to certain regions of Costa Rica - check the CDC's website for a map and more info. We were also given prescriptions for heavy duty antibiotics to take with us, just in case.
  • Options
    I've rafted there, hiked, surfed, ate local food, explored some crazy areas and never had a problem. If you are really worried, then by all means get what you need. I think the majority of the worries is over the mosquito problem (they carry the diseases) Make sure your mosquito repellent is at least 75% DEET. The stuff you buy at the drugstore won't cut it in the rainforest.
  • Options
    I made sure my tetnus (sorry about spelling) was current, had the Hep A b/c I was in Korea recently. I took the antimalaria pills.
  • Options
    Get Jungle Juice from REI.  We got the spray bottle kind and make sure to apply it under and above your clothes. We did not get any bites as long as we had on repellant.
  • Options
    I would definitely follow the CDC recommendations.  It's not worth the risk.  The typhoid vaccination is taken orally.  It's a series of pills you take over a week, and it lasts five years.  The malaria medication is also pills.  So, even if you hate shots, (who wants them, really?), you can eliminate the risk of these diseases.  Hep A is the only one that you listed that is a shot. I wouldn't want to get sick from my honeymoon trip, especially if you can do something simple to prevent it. 
  • Options
    I agree with the previous poster.  We followed the CDC guidelines and got Hep A, Typhoid, and updated tetanus - it is better to be safe than sorry.  We chose not to take malaria pills.  We traveled around in Guanacaste, Arenal, and Playa Conchal.You only have to get the Hep A series once in your lifetime (if you complete it properly), so it's something you might as well get out of the way.  I also took the oral Typhoid which lasts longer than the shot version (3 vs. 5), so ask your doctor if that is an option if you don't like shots.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I didn't get any vaccinations. i can update in about 3 weeks to let you know if I should have!
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure we're going to follow the CDC's and FI's doctor's recommendations and get the Hep A series (and completing it aftewards - might as well) and typhoid.  The oral one is strongly recommended, so we'll probably go that way.We're double-checking on malaria, but I'm pretty sure we'll just use super-strength insect repellent.  Thanks for all the opinions!  :)
  • Options
    We just got back from Costa Rica and didn't do any vaccinations before we went. DH and I are both up to date on all of our Hepatitis and tetanus boosters. I've heard of people getting typhoid or taking anti-malaria medication...but really, we didn't think it was necessary. If you'd feel better about it though, then by all means go for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards