Honeymoon Discussions

Two weeks in Italy? Suggestions, please!

We've definitely decided to go to Italy for our honeymoon, but neither of us have been there before so we're not too sure where to go.Things we know we want to do:Fly into Rome, spend a few days thereGo to Pompeii (day trip while in Rome?)Be beach bums on the Amalfi Coast (where? How long?)Stay in Cinque Terre (where? how long?)Stay in Venice (where? how long?)I know that there are a million amazing places to go in Italy... are we missing any really major ones? How would you break up the two weeks? Any specific hotel recs?TIA!!

Re: Two weeks in Italy? Suggestions, please!

• Ok... first, what time of year are you going? I've been to Italy 2x but both were at Christmas time...so we were there in Winter and for this reason,we skipped the coastal towns...I highly recommend at LEAST two days in Rome but really more like at least 3 if you can. THere is just SOOO much to see and do there (The Vatican, The Colliseum, The Forum etc) and it's a really big city.  As for Venice, well it's my favorite place I've ever been (been there twice - I got engaged there but that's not the only reason it's my favorite place, I just think it's sooo magical) but I think 2 days in Venice is PLENTY! It's a very smalll city with only so much to see or do. As for where in Venice, it's so small it doesn't matter. I stayed at a charming little bed and breakfast there overlooking a canal this past dec... it was called Locanda Sant' Augustin (or something like that) and it was beautiful and perfectly located.If you stay in venice any longer, a trip to Burano would be cool....YOu can take a water taxi over there...YOu should really consider a visit to Florence, especially if you have any interest in Art History... it's an awesome city. Stay there for at least 2 days.I also recommend doing either Amalfi OR Cinque Terre b/c I think they are similar so I don't think you NEED to do both.But my ultimate advice is that you do Rome, Florence, Venice and then Amalfi Coast or Cinque Terre. You can definitely do this and see a lot.Fly into Rome spend 3 days, then off to Amalfi Coast or Cinque Terre for 2-3 days, Then 3 days in Florence with a day trip to Tuscany, maybe a wine tour) and the end the trip with a two days in Venice. Let me know if you want more recs on hotels or info. After two trips I feel like I can offer some helpful tips!
  • Capri is by far my most favorite place in Italy.  It is a MUST see while you are doing the coast!  Have a great time :)
  • Rome- I've already spent about 2 weeks there and could easily go back 10 more times.  I love it there!  I think it's a really fun city, and there are some fun day trips you could take to places like Tivoli and Ostia Antica (both of which I'd highly recommend).  There should be some pictures toward the end of my planning bio.Florence- Florence is definitely a must see IMO. I didn't like it quite as much as Rome, but it's a cool city and a great base for taking day trips to other towns like Siena. Venice- Venice is my least favorite.  I went there because I sang at San Marco cathedral and then spent the rest of the day sightseeing.  That's all the time I needed lol.  A day was enough to see a glass blowing demonstration, take a gondola ride, walk around the Doge's palace and just wander for a while.  I don't really have a desire to go back there.Other recommendations: Capri is absolutely beautiful and worth the trip, but I wouldn't spend any more than a day or two there because of the slow pace.  The blue grotto was a neat experience... Ravenna is a great little town. It's very unique compared to the rest of Italy because of the byzantine influence and the mosaics.  I fell in love with it.... Hands down, my favorite part of the country is the lakes region.  I stayed in a town called Stresa on Lake Maggiore, and it was stunning!!!  If you like lakes, mountains, and beautiful gardens, you'd love it there (or possibly consider one of the other nearby towns like Como).
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • we did 4 nights in rome and then a 12 night mediterranean cruise last sept/oct. next october we're doing a week in sicily (visiting DH's aunt's family) and then a week in a villa in tuscany and a few days staying in florence.i highly suggest adding florence to your list and maybe taking a few days from venice or one of the other places.

• I'd definitely add Florence.  It's a very quaint, romantic city with plenty to see, like Michelangelo's David.  Also, it's easy to make a half day trip to see the Leaning Tower in Pisa if you desire, but if you don't want to, I wouldn't blame you because that is the only thing in Pisa.  I spent three days here and loved it, but I think you could easily get your fill in two.  I went to Rome twice last year.  The first time I stayed near the train station, and it seemed sort of sketchy to me.  There seemed to be a lot more beggars there, and I just didn't have a safe feeling.  The second time I stayed near the Pantheon, and it was obviously much more touristy (Therefore, more expensive), but I felt a lot safer, and it was easy to walk everywhere we needed to.  Out of all the places I've been in Europe, I think Rome has the worst subway system, but it'll take you to the major areas. If you don't want to be rushed, I'd suggest 3-4 days here, maybe even more if you're including Pompeii as a day trip from Rome.  Everyone says it's better to stay on the actual island in Venice, but I stayed about 10 miles off the island and saved a ton of money.  Our hotel included a shuttle service that took us to and picked us up from Venice.  Without that, I'm not sure it would have been worth it to stay outside of it, but hotels are definitely much more expensive on the island.  I spent three days in Venice and one in Milan.  Venice was beautiful, but there just didn't seem like a ton to do there, so I think 2 or 3 days is enough.  Also, I don't suggest Milan unless you're really big into fashion.  There are a few neat things, but I just didn't think it was really that worth it!
  • I studied abroad in Italy and would be happy to share my experience.  How long do you want to spend in the city?  How long at the beach?  I would suggest that you skip Venice, it is extremely touristy and was my least favorite city.Fly into Rome, spend two-three days.  Take a train to Sorrento - a good base for the Almalfi.  Spend three days with side trips to Capri, Positano, Mt. Vesuvius.Another idea is to do Rome and then the Island of Ischia (off of the Almalfi).  Very romantic, natural spas, not very touristy.Train to Sienna, in Tuscany.  Spend 1-2 days.Train to Florence. Two-three days.Train to Cinque Terre, three days as a beach bum.Last day train to Florence, fly out of Florence.I really like Rick Steve's Guide to Italy: http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/italy/italy_menu.htm
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards