Honeymoon Discussions

big island, hawaii

My fiance and I are trying to decide whether to go to Big Island or Maui (we are also going to Kauai).  I am adamant about Maui - he is about the Big Island.Anyone been to both and have a favorite between the two?  Thanks!!!

Re: big island, hawaii

• yuppers I have. It is all a very personal decision...but the big island is just so amazing in my opinion. Lots of activities and 11 different climate zones. I loved the road the discects the island in half between the 2 volcanoes. I felt like I was on Mars and we climbed to the top of Mauna Kea where the huge telescopes are and it was unbelievable!! The northern part is very lush with cliffs and waterfalls and the roads there are much nicer a drive then the road to Hana. I thought that in Maui, it was a little commercial and the people not so friendly. I did do the road to hana and we went all over. We enjoyed Lahaina and the island is very pretty, but I just preferred the big island.
  • I very much ditto above post. I loved the big Island so amazing.. Have you thought about doing the Big Island and Maui? We did those two Island and Had the best time.
  • I've been to all six islands and the Big Island is my fave hands down. Maui is at the bottom of my list. It's all subjective though, everyone has their own favorite based on their preferences (not yours). The best thing to to do is figure out what you want to do and pick the island(s) that best match your desired activities.
  • I've done both a few times, and I'd say it depends on what you like to do. I think the Big Island edges out Maui for outdoors activities (volcano, star gazing, kayaking & snorkeling), but I like the restaurants on Maui better. You won't have a bad time in either. BI has a more chilled out vibe to me and Maui is a bit more energetic.
  • In terms of restaurants, it depends on where you go on the Big Island because the food there is amazing an! Here are our Big Island faves (there are a ton more options, these are just the places we frequent): Kohala Coast Canoe House/Mauna Lani - expensive but really great food, seaside fine dining. This place was voted best outer-island restaurant. We got married at the Mauna Lani and REALLY love it here...it's just so beautiful and peaceful. Brown's Beach House/Fairmont Orchid - moderately expensive, would be a really nice place for lunch (I had the lobster fried rice...SO good!) Tommy Bahama Cafe/Shops at Mauna Lani - moderately expensive, this is pretty new but it's an awesome place (although kinda random) place for fine dining...really great food, desserts and drinks Ruth's Chris Steak House/Shops at Mauna Lani - expensive, this is a chain but we LOVE Ruth's Chris. We've been to many Ruth's Chris places all over the country and we really think this is the best steak you can consistently get anywhere. Roy's/King's Shops in Waikoloa Village (also lots of inexpensive eats at the King's Shops and Queen's Marketplace in the same shopping center too) - expensive, also a chain...Roy's is famous for Hawaiian fusion cuisine. It really is worth a trip even if it's not on your honeymoon...just go to a Roy's near you for a special date night :) Pahu i'a Four Seasons Hualalai - expensive, we actually love coming here for breakfast/brunch (their breakfast buffet is AWESOME) because the view is stunning Luau at Kona Village Resort (on Friday nights) - okay, we've been to this luau three times now and we think it's just excellent. My husband, Dan, is from Oahu and had never been to a luau until we went to this and was so surprised of how much fun we had. The spread is amazing and the show awesome. It is pretty pricey (about $90/person) but even Hawaii Revealed thinks it's the best (they say of all the islands!). Definitely worth the trip up from Kona...there are other luaus in Kona but they cannot hold a candle to this one at Kona Village, trust me on this!! FYI, they also do a Wednesday luau at Kona Village however they don't do the imu ceremony (where they take the roasted pig and turkey out of the underground oven). In and around Kona town...(most of the fast food joints are in Kona plus lots and lots of other cheap eats) Kona Brewing Company - lots of great microbrews plus a nice variety of foods (pizzas, sandwiches, salads and more...GREAT desserts!). They have entertainment including concerts often. Huggo's - this is the restaurant, Pan-Asian food, really good but expensive - OMG, the view from Huggo's is amazing, check out their website, it will give you an idea of what I mean by a lava rock beach www.huggos.com Huggo's On the Rocks - this is the lounge, great for pupus and drinks (drinks kinda pricey). This is a GREAT place to watch the sunset perhaps after a day of shopping. Grab a cocktail, listen to the live entertainment...it's just heaven! We hired the musicians that we saw here one night (they have nightly entertainment) for our wedding AND this place was the inspiration for our wedding cake...if you like coconut, try the Coconut Haupia Cake :) Lulu's - totally fun bar, great bar food Kona International Marketplace - lots of locals go here, this is a great place for a shaved ice or plate lunch :) Coffee Shack - a bit south of Kona...great "home cookin" style food, really inexpensive and there is a killer view Aloha Angel Cafe - also south of Kona...this place is connected to a theatre, it's really charming. The food here was awesome...I had pancakes with macadamia nut syrup - mmm...heaven! Waimea...(lots of inexpensive eats in this town including a McDonald's) Merriman's - expensive, very famous in Hawaii. Known for using fresh local ingredients to create the menu each night. This place is a real treat. They are also open for lunch on weekdays and they have a Cafe in the King Shops Shopping Center in Waikoloa Village (the cafe is a lot cheaper than the restaurant). Daniel Thiebaut's Restaurant - expensive, we love this place for a romantic night out. The restaurant decor is like a French country home, think upscale relaxed. The food is out of this world (expensive though) L&L Hawaiian BBQ - this is a huge plate lunch chain (even has locations on the Mainland) that we absolutely love, there's also one in Kona. We love them so much that we catered our rehearsal beach BBQ by this Waimea location. Tex Drive-In - this is a fast food joint (burgers, fries, etc) but they have the most AMAZING malasadas (large donut holes, some have fillings). Malasadas are really popular in Hawaii and Tex is famous for them. Hilo (about a 20 minute drive from Volcano which is good to know because it's really slim pickins' in Volcano town!) Hilo Bay Cafe - this is more of a fine dining place (located in the same mini-mall as Walmart) and it was really delicious. They also have a fantastic drink menu. Kuhio Grill - LOVE this place. Amazing local food. I love their fried rice loco moco :) Cafe Pesto - downtown Hilo, really yummy in a nice environment Ken's House of Pancakes - Ken's is like the Hawaiian version of Denny's. It's the only restaurant open 24 hours on the Big Island so a good place to know if you are Volcano and want food at 3am :) Also, a few random but amazing “musts” to try: In Hilo, definitely stop in at Big Island Candies!!! This place is awesome, I know you'll want to bring some home :)http://www.bigislandcandies.com/ About half way between Hilo and Waimea (Waimea is located on the north side of the island) is the Hawaiian Vanilla Company. It's the only vanilla mill in the US and they offer tastings everyday, tea time and tasting lunches a few times a week. I HIGHLY recommend this place, our lunch was AMAZING :) Plus, the gift shop is awesome, I almost bought out the whole store :) Reservations are a must. http://www.hawaiianvanilla.com/ Check out Dan's blog about this place (complete w/pics of the food!): http://dboland31.blogspot.com/2007/08/ho-broke-da-mout.html If you drive to Volcano from Kona, along the way, there's the southernmost bakery in the United States, Punalu'u Bake Shop. This is a great stop to pick up some sandwiches and/or sweet breads to snack on during your stay in Volcano. Here's their website, SO YUMMY: http://www.bakeshophawaii.com/
  • Ahh, I can't believe I forgot about Big Island Candies! That's worth the trip to the island alone - the chocolate covered coconut brownies are INSANE.
  • OMG the talk of all the great dining options is making my mouth water. OH and don't forget the views from Wai pi o (sp). Also it is the ONLY island with an active volcano and you can do a helicopter to see the lava! We did it without doors too!
  • Skip Kauai and go to Maui and Big Island then. Though if I had to choose, I'd do the Big Island, less touristy than Maui, though all the islands have their tourist traps and local areas.
  • thanks everyone!!  this was sooo helpful!
  • MrsNFB - THANK YOU so much for the detail reviews!! We're also considering the BigIsland/Maui choice but will probably do both. Thanks again! - Katievinchicago: I think we're going to do 4/5 days on each island! We figured if we're going that far (we're in Ohio) we'd take advantage and see two spots. FI has been to the Big Island and hope to satisfy our nature/adventure side there after chillaxing in Maui for a few days in Wedding Recovery. How long are you planning on going?I'm a fan of getting to settle into a place so probably wouldn't do two spots if we couldn't spend at least 3 days in each...
  • We are having our reception at a Hyatt, so we get three free nights at any Hyatt, so we are doing the Grand Hyatt in Kauai for 4-5 days, then thanks to this post, the Big Island for four days.  Too bad I have to wait a whole year until our honeymoon!
  • We just got back from Maui and the Big Island on Monday. Loved both just the same. We used recs from everyone on here on where to eat, stay and what to do and where to visit. You can't go wrong with these 2 islands. Decide what you really want to do and then research both island a bit more. I have both Revealed books if you want them. I would be willing to sell them for $10 each plus shipping.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards