Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Cross country road trip honeymoon?

Has anyone taken a well planned road trip as a honeymoon? If so, would you recommend it? I'm from PA and have traveled through Europe before and done Mexico but have never made it out to the western US. My FI and I love to see new places and we are on a pretty tight budget (would like to keep it under $1500). We always talk about going to California, and all of the places on the way there. Time isn't an issue because our wedding is July 24th and we won't have to get back to work until the end of August. I'm torn between this could possibly be a really amazing experience and it being a mess haha.
BabyFruit Ticker Married: July 2010 TTC #1:July 2010 07/11: Lots of testing: HSG (clear) Progesterone (Low), SA (Good!) dx: not ovulating 9/15/11: Cycle Clomid: 50 mg BFP!

Re: Cross country road trip honeymoon?

• Options
    I haven't done this...but one of my co-workers drove out to CA and said that they drove up the PCH and stopped throughout CA for their honeymoon...He said they loved it.
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I think it could be really amazing if you plan it out well.  And if you could get in some camping while at it, I think that could be fantastic, because to get from PA to CA you'd be driving through some pretty vast country, perfect for camping under the stars. :]  If you're the kind of person that's spontaneous and likes to go wherever the wind takes you, I'd say just get a general idea of what's out there so you'll know generally when you should stop and where.  But if you're more of a type A person, definitely plan out where you'll stay each night, that way you're not driving around aimlessly trying to find a place that isn't a sleazy motel on the highway!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Closed on our house 4-15-11!
  • Options
    Sounds awesome! I live in LA, but I'm from NY. I've never driven cross country, but many friends and my fiance have done it numerous times. Just be sure to give yourself little treats every so often, like a wine tasting tour on the California Coast (Santa Barbara) or a full day of sight-seeing in certain areas.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Last summer my fiance and I drove from NH to CA (we moved) and took 10 days to do it.  We did not get to do too much exploring, but it was quite an experience.  We were really short on money and time but did manage to explore NYC, Chicago, CO, Jackson Hole WY.  We did probably spend close to $1000 and we stayed at the cheapest hotels we could find...gas adds up!  My advice is this: do it, but make sure to explore lots of really cool places.  (I wish we did the south!)
  • Options
    thanks everyone!  i'm definitely going to put this high up on the list.  and i agree, camping for some of it would be beautiful but also sort of help out on the cost i'm sure.:)
    BabyFruit Ticker Married: July 2010 TTC #1:July 2010 07/11: Lots of testing: HSG (clear) Progesterone (Low), SA (Good!) dx: not ovulating 9/15/11: Cycle Clomid: 50 mg BFP!
  • Options
    I'm a big fan of road trips in general, so I think this would be really great if it fits your personalities. My guy and I have had the chance to take a few smaller road trips (CO to CA), and we LOVE them. We fill a cooler with snacks to save money, and we really enjoy the time to enjoy music, reading together, and great conversations while we see new things. Best of luck!
    BFP #1 6/3/10 | EDD 2/5/11 | Noelle born 1/28/11
    BFP #2 12/20/11 | EDD 8/24/12 | Natural M/C 12/22/11
    BFP #3 5/13/12 (Mother's Day!) | EDD 1/23/13 | Natural M/C 6/9/12 (blighted ovum discovered 6/7/12 at 7w1d)
    "And to think when their little eyes opened, the first thing they saw was the face of Jesus."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Ovulation Chart | My Baby Name List
  • Options
    My parents did this for their honeymoon...they drove across the country and would stop in every state and get tourist information and go see all the most important landmarks.  To this day (25 years later) it's probably the biggest thing they regret.  They said yes it was fun, but not for a honeymoon and they wish they could do it over again. 
  • Options
    Sounds awesome. There are so many possiblities. You could do a Route 66 road trip or see how many national parks you can visit. Good luck and go for it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards