• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
July 2011 Weddings

Mani/Pedi what to expect

Hey ladies,

My mom gave me my Christmas present early -- a manicure and pedicure at one of the salons in the area with a well-known reputation.  I have NEVER gotten either mani or pedi before, and don't have any clue what to expect, what to wear, etc... I know, strange to never have had one before... but here I am.

What should I expect?  Should I wear anything special on my feet?  Do you all love getting mani/pedi or do you hate it? TIA!!! 
July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!

Re: Mani/Pedi what to expect

• I love them! I get manis every other week and pedis once a month. A great way to pamper yourself!

I'd wear flip flops or at least bring them to the salon. many times, they will do that first and give your toes time to dry. Salons usually provide paper flip flop type shoes to wear in the salon. I would wear pants that you can easily roll up past your knees so they don't get wet.

Plan at LEAST two hour for all of this and you will want to give your nails time to dry before you leave and drive, etc. Get your keys and phone out before you get them painted so you won't have to dig around in your purse. It takes maybe 10 min. for them to "set" but about 90 min. for them to totally dry so you have to be really careful to not knick them at all during that time. It's sometimes a good idea to bring your own polish (although salons have polish to pick from) so you can touch up at home if you do get knicks.

To help keep them chip-free, put a top coat on every day to help seal the edges and keep them looking fresh!

And most of all, just relax and enjoy :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • I wouldn't worry too much about what to wear. Like pp said, just make sure that you pick items that you can roll up. If I were going, I would leave rings at home because they do hand massages with lotion. I would personally rather leave rings safe at home than to get them full of gunk or have to take them off at the salon. 
    Photobucket
  • For the manicure, you will want to have probably short sleeves on.  Sometimes they massage your wrist and I have even had them massage my forearm before. 
    What to expect with the manicure-you will sit in a chair with a table in front of you.  They will soak your hands, probably do a massage and nail care.  You can select a nail color if you choose to-or not.

For the pedicure, you will want to have pants on that are easy to roll past your knee and will want to have flip flops for your drive home.
    What to expect with a pedicure-you will sit in a chair-possibly a massage chair.  Your feet will be in a pool of warm water-hopefully with some lovely smelling stuff in the water!  They will do your nail care as well as massage your feet and lower legs.  And again you can select a nail color if you want to.

Both should be very relaxing.  Sit back and enjoy it!!!  If I had to guess, I would say, while this may be your first I don't think it will be your last!  I think you are going to LOVE it!!
  • I'm going to be an absolute Debbie Downer, so I apologize in advance.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of either, but I loathe pedicures much more than manicures.  I'm one of those people who can't stand people touching my feet because I'm really ticklish and the entire pedicure experience winds up being more annoying than relaxing and enjoyable. 

Plus, no matter how clean a salon or spa is the pedicure stations always skeeve me out because I sit there thinking about all the women who go in with nasty sh*t on their feet or under their toe nails (the worst is when you're sitting next to them and see all the gunk... I'm getting the heebie jeebies just thinking about it) or I think about how clean the tools and foot baths they use really are because I've read so many articles about how the "cleaning solution" they use even at some of the top places is really just colored water or Windex or something that's really not all that sanitary.
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love getting my nails done.  I think PPs have given you a pretty good idea of what to expect - with the pedicure some places will ask you if you want extras without really being clear about the cost - so if they ask something like "do you want a salt scrub" or whatever ask if it's extra, just to be sure.  They'll use a pumice stone on the soles of your feet to get rid of dead skin - it can be ticklish.  If you have bad dry skin (like I do) they may ask if they can use a razor to get rid of the thick dead skin.  Some people are VERY anti-razoring; I honestly like it because it gets the bottom of my feet super soft, but it's up to you.

Have fun!
  • you might love it or hate it, it's really your level of comfort

i love getting them when i can!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • i love getting pedicures!!! They are so relaxing. I always pay extra for the longer foot massage.

I am not a big fan of manicures just because my nails chip right away. But I will definitely have it done for the wedding.

Have fun and remember to relax and enjoy yourself!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to Re: Mani/Pedi what to expect:
    I love getting my nails done.  I think PPs have given you a pretty good idea of what to expect - with the pedicure some places will ask you if you want extras without really being clear about the cost - so if they ask something like "do you want a salt scrub" or whatever ask if it's extra, just to be sure.  They'll use a pumice stone on the soles of your feet to get rid of dead skin - it can be ticklish.  If you have bad dry skin (like I do) they may ask if they can use a razor to get rid of the thick dead skin.  Some people are VERY anti-razoring; I honestly like it because it gets the bottom of my feet super soft, but it's up to you. Have fun!
    Posted by Kate61487

This. I don't consider myself ticklish, really, but when they do this to me I have to dig my nails into my palms so I won't kick the girl in the  face. Also yeah, the razoring thing...one place I went to did that to me without asking first, and seriously FREAKED me out when I looked down and saw what  they were doing. Didn't hurt, but looked weird. I probably wouldn't have them do that again just because the thought of it makes me woozy, but it did make my feet feel nice.

Otherwise, ditto everything everyone else has said.
    image Anniversary
  • Wow, thanks for the feedback!  I've used a pumice stone on my feet at home, and I have at at-home foot bath, so I don't think I'll be too skeeved out by the salon.  The place my mom found is one of the top rated salons in my area, and she is very centered in cleanliness (she won't eat at a restaurant if it's less than 98 food sanitation rating)... anyway, I have picked my wedding nail polish color and top coat... I may just take that with me to get them to do it so I can see it professionally done.  

I recently went through a major foot problem -- a stress fracture in one of my metatarsals (the one in the center, the one that bears the brunt of the weight on the ball of the foot), and the bone has finally healed.  The swelling is starting to go down little by little, and this is after re-injuring it and having to go through TWO casts, TWO immobilizing boots, and still limited as far as wearing high heels.  Since the swelling, I have had to get new shoes that fit my wider/taller foot which has been frustrating.  Mom has waited all this time until my foot was healed so I could kind of start "fresh" once the bone decided it would stay in one piece and not break again!! 

I go on Monday dec 20 -- hopefully it will be fun and enjoyable... although I am ticklish to a degree with my toes, so hopefully I'll be okay!!  

July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards