Honeymoon Discussions

Honeymoon Registry

So I'm assuming there have been many posts regarding this but I havent seen any. I read on another board that people were considering doing one until they came to the knot and read reviews. Now I am scared!

We just did a honeymoon registry for our trip next year. The honeymoon is about 8k so we need all the help we can get. We already live together and have everything for a house.

Has anyone done a honeymoon registry or heard good/bad reviews?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Honeymoon Registry

• golden1215golden1215 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2010
    Even if you already did a HM registry you should still make a small upgrade registry for people who want to give boxed items.

And lots of times I don't have issues with HM registries if they don't charge fees and you'r actually buying something- like an outting- for the couple.  But not being able to afford the HM you picked, and therefore creating a HM registry, is really an etiquette no no.

Its like asking for cash which is tacky.
  • Thanks for the link! We are using TravelersJoy.com anyone ever use that before? We are doing a small regular registry as well but my family and guests were the ones who actually suggested the honeymoon idea!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-registry-21?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:1db3999b-4d79-421b-9ffa-7e399cf0df4fPost:7355a9f0-ef37-4804-b348-7396e9397d7d">Re: Honeymoon Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]i had never heard of the hm registry until theknot.  I think its dumb. If you think you already have enough things for the house, the i would just not register and hope people give you money. Our Hawaii hm is costing $5k and we got aton of money from the wedding that we can use toward that. An $8,000 hm is outrageous and just because you have expensive taste i don't feel the need to want people to pay for it. I don't think you should have booked the honeymoon unless you can afford it on your own, and then hope that if you get money from the wedding it can help pay the bills.
    Posted by LindsaymR[/QUOTE]
    OH MY GOD.  I completely glazed over the fact that it was EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS.  What the hell!?! That's insane.
  • I used Traveler's Joy for my HM registry and it was very well received by my guests.  You can PM me with any questions.
  • My feelings about honeymoon registries notwithstanding, it really is not a good idea to plan a honeymoon that is beyond what you can afford, especially because it sounds like it is much beyond your means by the way you described it in your initial post.  You can never depend on getting a certain amount of money from your guests like that.

If you're taking your honeymoon right after the wedding, won't you have to pre-pay for everything much in advance of actually getting these honeymoon registry gifts?

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • If you need "all the help you can get" then why are you planning it???
  • Why in god's name would you plan a trip that you can't even afford to take. I'm all for an expensive honeymoon if you have the money, but I certainly wouldn't go into debt for it or expect someone else to pay for it. That's just completely irresponsible.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am curious - what resort are you going to for your HM?
  • The trip is actually a cruise and we have until June to get our money back for the deposit. My shower is in May. So we dont have to pay in full until afterwards or can cancel and go to our second option. I know that it will definitely be covered by the money from the wedding, but we wanted to use this for other things such as student loans, mortgage, etc.

Not a problem if we have to use the money for the honeymoon but with everything else taken care of this is the only thing we need.

Everyone I have talked to said that they would rather give me money towards the honeymoon rather than a gift since we are so hard to buy for. Even for our house warming my aunt bought me an ipad because we already had everything for the house!

Any reviews on the honeymoon site would be great. Thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • who are you guys to say what someone else's HM should cost?? 

i have friends that DO NOT have expensive taste....they dont do fancy dinners EVER.  they dont wear expensive clothing. they are completely modest people.  etc etc.  so they felt they owed it to themselves to have a totally amazing honeymoon.  they spent $12k.  how do you feel about THAT?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-registry-21?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:1db3999b-4d79-421b-9ffa-7e399cf0df4fPost:ff97aa97-677d-4825-a6af-5ee965286b34">Re: Honeymoon Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]who are you guys to say what someone else's HM should cost??  i have friends that DO NOT have expensive taste....they dont do fancy dinners EVER.  they dont wear expensive clothing. they are completely modest people.  etc etc.  so they felt they owed it to themselves to have a totally amazing honeymoon.  they spent $12k.  how do you feel about THAT?
    Posted by reese511[/QUOTE]

You obviously didn't get the point of what anyone is saying.  My own honeymoon will cost more than the OP's, there's no set level of "appropriate honeymoon cost," but when a poster comes in looking for advice about an objectively pricy honeymoon and then saying she can't afford to pay for it, people see a problem and a disconnect.  Everyone's advice here is not "that is too expensive in general," it is "don't plan for a honeymoon that is more than you personally can afford under the assumption that other people will pay for it for you."

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Honeyfund is a good one too. They dont charge any fees.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-registry-21?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:1db3999b-4d79-421b-9ffa-7e399cf0df4fPost:181bb1aa-2c76-439a-875d-733b84e12371">Re: Honeymoon Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Registry : You obviously didn't get the point of what anyone is saying.  My own honeymoon will cost more than the OP's, there's no set level of "appropriate honeymoon cost," but when a poster comes in looking for advice about an objectively pricy honeymoon and then saying she can't afford to pay for it, people see a problem and a disconnect.  Everyone's advice here is not "that is too expensive in general," it is "don't plan for a honeymoon that is more than you personally can afford under the assumption that other people will pay for it for you."
    Posted by LaFemmeRousse[/QUOTE]

actually, OP never said she "couldn't afford" it.  she said she could use all the help she could get.  posts are subjective....and obviously....you live a negative existance since your first reaction is to shoot someone down.  you're really not helpful, so chill out.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-registry-21?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:1db3999b-4d79-421b-9ffa-7e399cf0df4fPost:181bb1aa-2c76-439a-875d-733b84e12371">Re: Honeymoon Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Registry : You obviously didn't get the point of what anyone is saying.  My own honeymoon will cost more than the OP's, there's no set level of "appropriate honeymoon cost," but when a poster comes in looking for advice about an objectively pricy honeymoon and then saying she can't afford to pay for it, people see a problem and a disconnect.  Everyone's advice here is not "that is too expensive in general," it is "don't plan for a honeymoon that is more than you personally can afford under the assumption that other people will pay for it for you."
    Posted by LaFemmeRousse[/QUOTE]
    This this this.  You have the money for an 8000 honeymoon-- that's great!  More power to you!  But, if you're expecting your guests to pony up the dough for a trip that you can't afford, and your guests couldn't afford... why would you ask them to pay for it.

And seriously, a cruise?  You're paying 8 g's for a cruise?  That's crazy, unless it goes to Australia and back.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-registry-21?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:1db3999b-4d79-421b-9ffa-7e399cf0df4fPost:61897e10-4276-4028-902f-4443ed327727">Re: Honeymoon Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Registry : <strong>actually, OP never said she "couldn't afford" it.  she said she could use all the help she could get</strong>.  posts are subjective....and obviously....you live a negative existance since your first reaction is to shoot someone down.  you're really not helpful, so chill out.
    Posted by reese511[/QUOTE]

I believe the exact words were "we need all the help we can get". If you NEED help paying for something you probably can't afford it.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-registry-21?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:1db3999b-4d79-421b-9ffa-7e399cf0df4fPost:850396f8-2d88-4ebf-bb18-01c0b5b7f81d">Re: Honeymoon Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Registry : I believe the exact words were "we need all the help we can get". If you NEED help paying for something you probably can't afford it.
    Posted by waltzingmatilda13[/QUOTE]

mmmkay...so whenever you say "i could use all the help i can get"  that automatically means you couldn't do it on your own if you really had to? 
  • You can have a box at the reception with a big cards sign on it, but you can't have a honeymoon registry. Seems like you're expecting people to bring money anyway. Isn't it just as presumptious? She asked a question. Just answer it and leave your loud opinions to yourself.

Anniversary
  • This is silly.  This is the only place that I have ever heard such negativity about honeymoon registeries.  Give me a break.  What is the difference if you use your gift money for a honeymoon or register for one? 

Don't let this bring you down.  The general public is not as negative about it as some of the posters.  Trust me.

Register for your honeymoon, be prepared to pay some money cause I doubt you will get 8k.
  • We are using Honeyfund. I think it is the only one that does not charge fees, although I did opt for the $29 premium options for the layouts and no ads.

We have already booked our hotels and fair and all that, and on our registry we are putting excursions like wine tours, hot air balloon ride, golf etc.

We own a home that we furnished from scratch with hgih qualitiy things, so we don't have many upgrades.

We will do a small traditional registry, but in our circle, honeymoon registries are well recieved.
  • Thanks everyone!

I actually will have the honeymoon covered. I just prefer to have the money from the shower go towards this as it would be alot easier than to spring for the whole thing. I am not expecting the full amount but any little bit helps.

In response to the cruise comment. It goes from Rome, to Egypt to see the Pyramids, then to Isreal, Greece, and back to Rome. We are also staying in Rome a little bit to see Italy. Its a once in a lifetime opportunity for us since we have never been to Europe and my fiancee is excited to see the Pyramids.

Thank you to everyone who reffered me to sites. I have been asking around and have received positive feedback from most.

Thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-registry-21?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:1db3999b-4d79-421b-9ffa-7e399cf0df4fPost:279b3a05-d223-4ad7-8a3a-d384c8ff248a">Re: Honeymoon Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks everyone! I actually will have the honeymoon covered.<strong> I just prefer to have the money from the shower go towards this as it would be alot easier than to spring for the whole thing.</strong> I am not expecting the full amount but any little bit helps. In response to the cruise comment. It goes from Rome, to Egypt to see the Pyramids, then to Isreal, Greece, and back to Rome. We are also staying in Rome a little bit to see Italy. Its a once in a lifetime opportunity for us since we have never been to Europe and my fiancee is excited to see the Pyramids. Thank you to everyone who reffered me to sites. I have been asking around and have received positive feedback from most. Thanks!
    Posted by blipsettpr[/QUOTE]
    I thought that people give tangible gifts for showers, not money.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-registry-21?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:1db3999b-4d79-421b-9ffa-7e399cf0df4fPost:f65e5f65-53a7-4830-a9b6-0173baa17b0b">Re: Honeymoon Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Registry : I thought that people give tangible gifts for showers, not money.
    Posted by Goldlie11[/QUOTE]

Yep.  You're supposed to have a shower to be showered with gifts... not money. 

This whole thing is a big bag of tacky.
  • Man, I don't understand why these girls get so bent out of shape. Here's a solution: IF YOU THINK IT'S TACKY/DON'T LIKE IT, THEN DON'T DO ONE. Tada. Problem solved. You girls should really calm down before you drive yourself to a heart attack at 30 because of your negativity. =]

Anyways...I am also using Honeyfund! I love it. Every other honeymoon registry site that you will go to will 1) charge you a fee to use it (somewhere around 7.5-10%) and 2) will take all the money and cut you a check ONCE or TWICE. So that means that the gifts people are giving you will not be given to you until that honeymoon registry site decides to cut you a check. Not my cup of tea. On honeyfund you can set it up through your paypal site, they can pay by credit card through paypal (paypal does have a 2.5% fee, but that's a paypal thing not a honeyfund thing) or your guest can choose to give you a card with money at your shower/wedding, but they can print off a voucher letting you know exactly what they paid for. I think this is super fantastic. My family is super excited about my registry because they're able to pay for me and FI to go on different outings, or pay for us to go to a fancy dinner, or whatever else we put on our registry. FI and I have already got the money put aside to pay for the airfare, hotels and train rides between cities, so now we're just saving money for excursions, so any money we receive through our honeyfund will go to EXACTLY what they pay for, which I think is important. I do think it's wrong for you to put "Send us on a tasting at the local winery" and then use it to pay for some McDonalds or something. I plan on taking pictures of us doing the things that people paid for and sending it in a Thank You card. I think it'll make it that much more special.

So, as you can tell, some girls don't like the honeymoon registry idea, and that is their choice and opinion not to use it, but it's really all about what you think your guests find acceptable and what you yourself find acceptable. My guests and I find it acceptable so I'm going to do it. Along with a small regular registry as well for anyone who doesn't like or doesn't want to use the honeymoon registry. Good luck! =]
  • So, you're saying I'll have a heart attack any day because I'm 30 AND think negatively of honeymoon registries?  Thanks for the info, I'll let my husband know.
  • This is really all a matter of personal preference.  Don't let what others say effect the choices you want to make.  It is your wedding.

Many people are against honeymoon registries.  I don't see them as tacky.  Personally I think things like "money boxes" or "dollar dances" are much more tacky.  However, the honeymoon registry should be used for upgrades and extra activities, not the actual trip itself.  I plan travel part time and I do many honeymoons.  I give the same advice to every bride who wants to use a HM Registry... pay for your hotel and your flight yourself and upfront.  Let the registry be a way for your friends and family to give you the gift of experiences.  They can contribute towards an upgrade to a first class ticket, a bottle of champagne on arrival, a sunset cruise excursion, a couples massage, etc.     A fun way of saying that you is by taking a picture of you and your husband drinking that bottle of champagne and toasting to Aunt Sue for her thoughtful wedding gift.  Include the picture in your thank you card.   Isn't that much better than taking a picture of you and your 3rd brand new toaster...???  Cool

Lots of Luck!
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page."
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-registry-21?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:1db3999b-4d79-421b-9ffa-7e399cf0df4fPost:278a9c95-2149-4a19-b294-2ee915dc5283">Re: Honeymoon Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]Man, I don't understand why these girls get so bent out of shape. Here's a solution: <strong>IF YOU THINK IT'S TACKY/DON'T LIKE IT, THEN DON'T DO ONE.</strong> Tada. Problem solved. You girls should really calm down before you drive yourself to a heart attack at 30 because of your negativity.[/QUOTE]

People are trying to help by posting they think it is tacky... because some of your guests may as well. 

I find expensive honeymoon registries tacky.  I find them more tacky if I know that the couple has gone on other fancy vacations together (wedding website is full of pictures of couple in St. Lucia, etc.).  The purpose of wedding gifts are to help set up your life together, not pay for luxury cruises. 

If you want cash, then set up just a small registry (I'm sure you could use a nice serving bowl, or some new pots and pans that will last for decades).  People will probably get the hint and send cash when the registry is complete. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't get the need for a honeymoon registry and what they entail. As you said, Chastity, these sites give the couples a check. So really, the guests are not giving you a bottle of champagne or a helicopter ride. They are giving you money. Why don't you just have a small registry for guests that want to give tangible gifts, and let everyone know that you are saving up for your honeymoon? People will get the hint that you prefer money, which is what those honeymoon registries are, after all.
    7/10/10 imageDandy
  • (I posted this in another HMR post, and thought it would qualify for here too)

Yes, I'm against honeymoon registries, but because I'm against them, that means I shouldn't post a response to people asking about them?  I give a perspective that is BOUND to be shared by at least someone out there.  Or, are we all supposed to conform to the new bridezilla slogan of IT'S YOUR DAY DO WHAT YOU WANT while breathing fire and demanding that all of our BM's be fembots who look exactly the same, or that you should go into massive debt for your wedding OR honeymoon. 

If we all start thinking, "Hey!  It's awesome to beg for money from people." by the time our kids grow up, it's going to be a pain in the ass.  I think wedding hazes are easy to get into, where all you see is your money getting drained away for a party, and think it's perfectly okay for your guests to shed some into it.

Now, do I think it's okay if culturally, your group or family gives money?  Sure.  Why?  Because that is what is *expected* and not *demanded*  Therein lies the big difference.

People say, "Oh, what's the big deal, it's the same as asking for gifts." But it's not.  Registries were invented to help a young couple get a good start in life.  Much in the same way that the women of a household would work for months on an engaged woman's trousseau- so that she would go into the marriage with new gowns, bed linens, etc.  As times changed, and people stopped sewing, and the availability of manufactured goods became higher, registries were done so that young couples could start off in life with items that became heirlooms and part of family traditions. 

This brings us to the argument that I've already stated-- times have changed.  People these days get married older, after they have been established.  Good for us all!  But when you bought your sheets, did you get some that were a nice, high quality?  Or how about that KitchenAid stand mixer that you've wanted, but just couldn't afford?  What about a beautiful set of china or high quality knives or pots and pans that will literally last you a lifetime?  Are we so focused only on the here and now, and such a souless, cash society that all we think we need is money?  There ARE more important things.  And while times have changed, and lifestyle has changed, please forgive me if I feel that one old tradition- that of asking for money is tacky-- should never be forgotten.
  • ok..so having a registry w/ "stuff" and a HM registry = begging for money
    but a card box at the wedding doesn't?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards