Honeymoon Discussions

Help! Thinking about having a destination

Ok so I have been planning my wedding for sometime now but I never really wanted a big elaborate event and that is just what it has turned into. I seriously just want to go somewhere on the beach with me and my finance I am thinking about changing all my plans and doing a destination and just having a big reception when I get back can anyone who has had or is planning a destination give me any pointers? Thanks
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Help! Thinking about having a destination

• FI and I are doing this exact thing!  We were planning a large wedding with about 400 guests.  Then we decided that rather then spend thousands and thousands on one day, we would do something much smaller and not go broke.

We are going to Sun Palace in Cancun - just the two of us.  For one week, AI, it is I think 3200 for the both of us.  My family wants us to have a casual party/cookout type thing later in the year, but right now we are undecided on that.  I'd rather save the money and redo our kitchen.

At first, we were a little sad to change our plans - we had done pretty much everything for a big wedding reception - except pay for it.  But once we cancelled our vendors and talked about it, we are both happy we are doing it this way.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_thinking-having-destination?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:201a923d-470c-4a8b-8c58-22f1b0d3e918Post:d13750b4-cfc3-4a70-840f-debb06b2e2bc">Help! Thinking about having a destination</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok so I have been planning my wedding for sometime now but I never really wanted a big elaborate event and that is just what it has turned into. I seriously just want to go somewhere on the beach with me and my finance I am thinking about changing all my plans and doing a destination and just having a big reception when I get back can anyone who has had or is planning a destination give me any pointers? Thanks
    Posted by NicoleMaher[/QUOTE]

I would make sure a DW is honestly what you want to do.  Don't let the stress of planning a wedding get to you. Planning a wedding doesn't have to be stressful.

If your STD's have already been sent out I strictly advise against changing your plans at this point.
    Anniversary
  • I agree with Palmettogirl...are you thinking of doing this because the planning is getting stressful and things are getting out of hand, or because it's truly what you want?  Your wedding is a once-in-a-lifetime thing, and for some, intimate destination weddings are the way to go.  Think about what you'll be happy with (or, if you're factoring this into you decision - what you AND your families with be happy with) five or ten years from now. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards