July 2012 Weddings

NWR food ideas?

So...I'm kinda in a food rut.  I feel like I'm cooking a lot of the same things because well, let's face it, I'm not that great of a cook yet.  I like to make healthy things--anybody have any good ideas for side dishes?  I like veggies but get bored with the usual preparation (steamed, grilled, etc.).  I need ways to make them more exciting (I'm not big on salads or raw veggies/food in general). 

Also, I'm kind of a pastaholic...anybody have any good recipes?
Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview

Re: NWR food ideas?

• I like adding lemon zest and fresh parmesan to asparagus =)
  • Check out the July 2012 Knottie Page (in littlemoments siggy) and go to the recipes page...
    There are a couple there and you can always give suggestions!!
  • "How to Cook Everything" by Mark Bitterman is AMAZING!! You will never be board in the kitchen again
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • try roasting your veggies w/ olive oil, salt and pepper at a really high temp like 400 degrees... roasted cauliflower is my absolute favorite!

from one pastaholic to another, can't go wrong w/ a pasta primavera- a really great spring/summer primavera is w/ summer squash and zucchini, grape tomatoes, fresh mint and lemon juice, sprinkle w/ parmesean cheese...delish :)
  • MY FMIL makes mashed cauliflower. If you add a little butter, it tastes like mashed potatoes! Yum :) Also, she makes this tomato dish that has seasoning and parmesan cheese on top of sliced tomatos which get baked in the oven. Honestly, she probably got both of of the South Beach diet, but I HATE vegetables and LOVE both those sides!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image170 Made the cut!
    image 134 Are ready to celebrate!
    image 36 Are missing out!
    image 0 Are making us wait!
  • My FI does most of the cooking around here and I second dayn's suggestion for roasting veggies with olive oil and salt and pepper. My 2 favorites are baby red potatoes sliced thin almost like chips then roasted and brussel sprouts cut in half and roasted then served with spray butter on top. That's the only way I'll eat my brussel sprouts. 

Also, this is one of my favorite summer side dishes:
    Corn and Black Bean Salad

It's nice to have something cold and refreshing in the summer and this one is DELICIOUS! 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks guys!  Meagan--my FI usually does the cooking, too, but he's been pretty sick so I've had to take over for a while now, and well, we're definitely missing good food. :)

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!  I totally forgot about our website with the recipes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards