Honeymoon Discussions

Affordable Cruises

This is not for our HM, but we are looking to go on a cruise with some friends in January 2013.  I have never been on a cruise before, so I am not sure where to start as there are so many cruise lines.

We are considering a cruise to Mexico or the Caribbean but there are so many cruise ships.  Any advice as to which cruise lines are better than others?  Any that are budget friendly as we do not need a luxury liner?

Thanks

Re: Affordable Cruises

• lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    I've cruised with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.  I loved both.

For Celebrity, I paid almost double what I paid for Royal Caribbean.  I cruised with Celebrity back in 2005 though, so things may have changed.  However, for that large of a price increase, I'd go with Royal Caribbean.  I've cruised with them twice and have zero complaints.

We're cruising with Carnival for our HM in November.  Not my first choice in cruise lines, but the itinerary was perfect.  They are probably the least expensive cruise line.  We booked a balcony cabin for our 7 night cruise and we're paying under $1,500.

Check out Cruise Critic for reviews and photos.  It's been a great resource for us!
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • FI and I went on a 3 night, 4 day on Royal's Magesty of the Seas for $250 each, an awesome deal. Though it was the smalles and oldest ship in their fleet, we relaxed, drank and spent time together, which was the only things we wanted to do. We didn't do any excursions, which definitely add up. We stayed on the ship when everyone else got off and had whole decks/pool to ourselves, which was awesome!
  • Definitely check out out cruise critic.  You can read reviews of all the major cruise lines and decide which one(s) suit your personal interests.
  • We chose a Carnival cruise for our HM. Neither of us have ever cruised before, but friends and family have loved it. We're paying about $1400 for a balcony (after taxes and prepaid gratuities) for 7 days out of Baltimore.
  • I've been on 2 Carnival cruises, and I"m pretty sure that's one of the options we're considering for a honeymoon.  Carnival is super budget friendly and I've had fun on both of the ones I went on.  You can find cruises that sail from a port you want, and sail for a certain number of days or visit a certain place.  There's literally something for everyone.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • We are also going on Carnival for our HM in a few weeks. We paid about 2K for the ocean view suite, prepaid tips, and 2 excursions. We're taking probably about $600 in cash for spending money (alcohol on board, souvenirs) as well as for tips for porters, room service, etc. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Thanks for all of the info!

This is very good information to get me started........

• 'budget friendly' is a relative term. whats your budget?
    as to which is best-that's totally open for opinion. i hated princess, loved cunard, carnival and disney.

• For airfare and 6-7 day cruise, I would say the budget is around $1500-$2000

• Our honeymoon is with Carnival, I've cruised with them before. If you book far enough in advance you get a discount for booking early, plus with a group over 5 I think you get another discount. I'd call and ask about discounts, plus they let you pay a deposit and pay the rest off some months out as well. 
    Vacation Anniversary PitaPata Dog tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards