Honeymoon Discussions

Legit honeymoon registries?

M FI and I are considering doing a honeymoon registry. There are so many different sites out there. Does anyone have experience with these? If it helps we are taking a cruise to Bermuda for our HM. Thanks! 

Re: Legit honeymoon registries?

• Honeymoon registries are frowned upon.  They're poor etiquette because they equal asking for cash.  They also dupe your guests.  Your guests think they're buying you a nice breakfast on the beach, but instead the HM registry is taking their money, taking 10%, and just giving you the cash.  Your guests wouldn't be happy to learn 10% of their gift to you did not go to you.
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • We looked around and chose Traveler's Joy for ours.  I know some people have also said good things about Honeyfund.  We chose to do a honeymoon registry because we've lived together for quite some time so most stuff on a normal registry we already have.  And I honestly think the people coming to our wedding would enjoy knowing they're helping us have a nicer honeymoon than we could afford otherwise.
  • They're frowned upon in *some* circles, but not everywhere. They're fairly common and very well received where I am. So I would do some research and find out how your family and friends feel about them. Keep in mind that they may not be honest about it to your face, and then talk about it behind your back. For instance I only know they're received well in my circle because I have multiple family members who have done it, and I've been part of those behind-their-back conversations. And all my friends are huge on travel, so I know they'd far rather support that than buy us "stuff"..

Most people will recommend having a small traditional registry as well, however, just in case there are some people who would really prefer going the traditional route.

Honeyfund is completely free to use, however they have no means for payment (while still keeping it free), so I think guests are instructed to bring you a cheque or money at the wedding, along with a certificate from honeyfund stating what they wished to purchase for you. I can't put my finger on it, but there's something about the way they do it that I don't care for. I haven't looked into the other ones too much..

Good luck, and congrats!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I believe Honeyfund does not allow a guest to pay by credit card (thus keeping the fees out of the equation).  Your guests can pay electronically, but it has to be by check. 

We used Traveler's Joy and we were very happy with it.  We also did a regular traditional registry like the PP suggested.  The registry board has a great thread on what to register for when you can't think of anything. 
  • Honeyfund - you dont have to pay to use the site, and there are no fees to you or your guests. If you choose to use paypal to allow guests to pay online, there is the usual paypal fee of 3% that gets deducted from your amount. The site however charges nothing to host your page unless you want to pay the one time fee of $29 to upgrade your site, which is well worth it.
  • Certain Honeymoon locations offer a registry. I actually prefer when someone has a Honeymoon registry because you're contributing to memories which will last longer than another blender or toaster. Don't get me wrong though, I like lenders and toasters- we just don't have our own house yet. I have a lof of friends in the same boat, living with family while saving up after marriage and I always give money towards the Honeymoon. Life is so stressful and wedding planning is no exception, it's nice to not have to worry about the last bit of Honeymoon costs.
    We're going to Cove Haven Resorts in the Poconos (PA) and they take guest contributions by mail and over the phone with no charges. Guests can also add packages like massages, fruit baskets, champagne, etc.
    160 image 129 image 31image 0image RSVPs are all in!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards