Honeymoon Discussions
Options

That's it, we're going to Mexico...but now which resort?

We're getting married on New Year's Eve, and planning the wedding has been a breeze. However, trying to decide where to go for the honeymoon has been, by far, the most stressful decision yet. We finally decided we're going to Mexico and not changing our minds again...
Now that we've chosen Mexico though, we need to choose a resort. I decided I'm not going to look anymore, I'm just going to narrow it down and choose one. I'm sure I am missing out on some amazing resorts, but I'm driving myself crazy by searching for new places everyday. So here's what I've narrowed it down to:
Excellence (either Riviera Cancun or Playa Mujeres, both look great)
Valentin Imperial Maya
Dreams Puerto Aventuras
Royal Playa del Carmen
Any opinions on any of these to help make my decision easier! It would be much appreciated!!!!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: That's it, we're going to Mexico...but now which resort?

• Options
    We're staying at the Valentin in November and am SO excited! It has awesome reviews on trip advisor and fit everything that we wanted... yay!

BTW, we told the travel agent we were looking for:
    1. A gorgeous, relaxing place
    2. Somewhere in a safe area near off resort activities
    3. Excellent food
    4. A place that wouldn't break the bank.
  • Options
    prlmrg08prlmrg08 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2010
    I have been to Excellence Riviera and have heard that Excellence Playa is nicer and better staffed... I am going to Royal Playa Del Carmen in October and my TA said it is REALLY nice... I went with this one because of cab fares being SO high! When we were at Excellence Riviera it was $35/us plus tip EACH way to and from Cancun/Playa if you wanted to go shopping or off of the property. The advantage of staying at the Royal is you are a block away from 5th St. where you can shop and there is better nightlife than at the resorts. I booked through Elise at Beach Bum and she is really knowledgeable about the area and got us a better deal than I could find anywhere online... you might email her and get her opinion and see if she can get you a good deal. I know they have connections at both Excellence and Royal which is always nice for your honeymoon too :) elise@beachbumvaction.com 

...for sure location wise The Royal Playa is the best... the food was GREAT at Excellence Riviera and the drinks were strong, but the nightlife wasnt the best... The beach wasnt the best, but it was stormy while we were there, so that played a part in all the seaweed...
  • Options

I have been to Mexico 12 times, including once for 6 months as a child!  I have never stayed in any of those resorts, but we usually go to Las brisas in Acapulco.  So romantic that they call it The Baby Factory.  Not to make your decision even harder!  Private casita, private pool.  Heaven.
    I am my beloved's, and my beloved is mine.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Prlmrg - I emailed Elise about 3 days ago and have gotten no response :( Did it usually take her a long time to get back to you when you were working with her?

• Options
    no, it usually doesnt take that long at all! The only time it takes that long is if she is touring resorts or having meetings and such.... so maybe that is going on right now. I know a lot of them have been out of the office lately checking out new places... 
  • Options
    chrissy, i emailed elise as well when i started my honeymoon search and she never emailed me back.  so we went with a different TA--jennifer at VIP (she came highly recommended on this board as well).  good luck!

also, i stayed at the royal playa del carmen and it was GREAT.  we are staying at Secrets this time (fit our budget better) but i think you will love the royal.  so fabulous.
  • Options
    I think it depends what you are looking for..If you are looking for adults only than you may also want to consider Secrets as opposed to Dreams, they are adults only and Dreams is family friendly. We are staying at Secrets Maroma....we looked into almost all of the ones you mentioned, but wound up getting the best deal at Secrets. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the ones you mentioned, asd they all tend to get pretty good reviews.
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_thats-were-going-mexicobut-now-resort?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:48b18c89-8e42-429f-b093-34b716cf58fdPost:c2ce4c86-0dbb-4f79-9580-13342e7006cc">Re: That's it, we're going to Mexico...but now which resort?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Prlmrg - I emailed Elise about 3 days ago and have gotten no response :( Did it usually take her a long time to get back to you when you were working with her?
    Posted by Chrissya03[/QUOTE]

<div>Resend your email... her email got hacked and she has had a ton of trouble and has been out of the office this week as well. I just emailed her about my balance and heard back within 10 minutes :)</div>
  • Options
    why not just CALL her :)

• Options
    We are going to Excellence Playa Mujeres and it is supposed to be FANTASTIC! I have talked to multiple couples that are well traveled and they said that it is the best resort they have ever been to. It was affordable and the food is supposed to be excellent!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_thats-were-going-mexicobut-now-resort?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:48b18c89-8e42-429f-b093-34b716cf58fdPost:6fedc382-5e0b-44bc-8945-c85efa47d6cb">Re: That's it, we're going to Mexico...but now which resort?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are going to Excellence Playa Mujeres and it is supposed to be FANTASTIC! I have talked to multiple couples that are well traveled and they said that it is the best resort they have ever been to. It was affordable and the food is supposed to be excellent!
    Posted by amk27560[/QUOTE]

Horray!  That's where we booked too!  We're so excited and are really in need of a vacay.  We'll be back at the end of the month with reviews :)
  • Options
    Excellence Playa Mujeres is at the top of my list thus far, and I swear I think I have combed thru the Caribbean with a fine tooth comb! Are you going for a regular room or a club room?
  • Options
    Royal Playa del Carmen!  Great service, beautiful romantic rooms, good food, and the location could not be better.  We walked down 5th Avenue several times and had a blast buying souveniers (sp?) and people watching.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards