Honeymoon Discussions

Bali vs Hawaii... how to choose

We are deciding between Bali and Hawaii for our honeymoon. Opinions to try and sway us are welcome! We are looking to really relax but also have some active options while we are there. Thanks!

Re: Bali vs Hawaii... how to choose

• Make a pros/cons list. Where in hawaii are you thinking? We are planning on hawaii for the fun activities, (pearl harbor, parasailing, and much more)
  • We went to Maui.  I have a review in my bio.  We chose it because it seemed like the perfect combination of relaxation but still with things to do and see.  I don't know anything about Bali though.
  • BALI!!! If you can afford the flight, totally go to Bali.

Hawaii is much more accesible, much more pricy, and much more tourist-y.
    While Bali does have upscale, costly hotels, there are also an abundance of gorgeous local hotels that cost as little as $14 a night or so.
    My parents got married in 1986. My mom had 2 kids and this was her third marriage, and she was super pregnant with her and my dad's first kid. She had never had any honeymoon, and since they were pregnant they didn't have one.
    Their first trip without kids (since before they got married) was in March of 2006. They got to take almost the whole month and spend it in Bali. They LOVED it.

I don't know how much prices have changed, but everything was incredibly cheap except the flight.
    Three downsides are
    1) The trash...they don't really have a good garbage/recycle system. The water bottles and garbage sits on the edge of the roads and when it rains, it all trickles downstream.
    2) The traffic. It is INSANE. There are no rules, whatsoever. You can drive anywhere. You can sit in the middle of the road. It's not uncommon to see a motorbike used as a family car.
    3) The con artists. Much like in Europe, there are always some people trying to force things into your hands and make you pay ridiculous amounts for them. They will have sweet children give you a flower and pretend to cry until you pay them enough.

However, it is a gorgeous island. There are many biking, hiking, and swimming opportunities. It's a humid climate, and lush with rice paddies and forests. They went snorkelling and my dad put it like this in a sweet postcard he wrote me: "I think I saw every fish from Finding Nemo and then some."
    You can get a full meal (drinks, food, dessert) for two people for about $20 (4 years ago, at least).

There are also boating options, rafting trips, and tons of other things.
    You can rent scooters and once you are out of the big cities traffic really isn't a problem.
    It's much better to go off the beaten path there, you will see so much more.
    My parents went shopping in the rice paddies and came back with 2 duffel bags of gorgeous masks and paintings and jewelry.

One of their weirder adventures occured one day in the forest, when a monkey bit a huge chunk out of the scooter seat- and the scooter people said it's not all that uncommon, so I guess learn monkey protection tactics? Haha...

But really, after hearing of their adventures there, and my aunt and uncle's (they go every other year, if that says anything), I would WAY recommend it over Hawaii.
  • edited May 2010
    I'm going to Bali next month for my honeymoon. We've been to Maui on several occasions and while it's nice there, we wanted to go somewhere different. Bali has a wider choice of places to stay, including full-size villas that come with personal butlers, cooks, and car and driver. Plus, massages are relatively inexpensive.

The only downside I can see is the flight time and cost. Since we're stopping in Taiwan for our second wedding reception with relatives, it won't be that long of a trip to get there. However, airfare is usually at least $1,500+ a person in the summer and it requires a stopover, while going to Hawaii is usually direct (at least from the West Coast) and much cheaper. Total travel time to Bali is around 20 hours if you are flying from the West Coast. If you're flying from Boston, you're going to have at least 2 stopovers and 25 hours of travel each way. To Hawaii, airfare is probably going to be less than $1,000 per person and less than 15 hours, with only 1 layover. Going to Bali might be more stress than you'd want after a wedding.

Also, you might want to consider the time of year you're going. Hawaii generally has pleasant weather year-round, but Bali has monsoon and rainy seasons, and a lot more mosquitos.
  • Thanks for all the info! I know Hawaii would be easier for sure, but hearing about Bali is pushing me that way! We are taking a month between the wedding and honeymoon anyway :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_bali-vs-hawaii-choose?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:5348fa25-4e23-43ba-b2b6-ec8902c6d76bPost:b155c890-e2d0-4bdb-82ab-832a8a1932a6">Re: Bali vs Hawaii... how to choose</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>BALI!!! If you can afford the flight, totally go to Bali. Hawaii is much more accesible</strong>, much more pricy, and much more tourist-y. Posted by ipwtfa91[/QUOTE]

DEFINITELY AGREE!

HAWAII, you can go anytime and it'll always be the same. Bali on the other hand, is absolutely BEAUTIFUL and once you're there, you're not gonna want to leave. it's so relaxing!
    IMO, its always fun to go into a different environment and try new things.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards