Connecticut
Options

Bridesmaid Dress Help!

How did you ladies pick your BM's dresses? I originally wanted to tell them black and whatever you want, as long as it's knee length- but after going shopping two weekends ago with my cousin who's a BM- there are just so many choices out there, I think it's hard for them.

I'm having a hard time figuring out the type of dress that compliments mine- without being boring. I hate most of the dresses I see on JCrew or Davids because they don't have that little bit of "flair" I want the girls to have. Plus, theyre pretty expensive for just a black strapless, or whatever type dress. I know they are well made- I just can't justify telling them to get one from there when I know I can find something better out there! Any help would be appreciated!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bridesmaid Dress Help!

• Options
    CTbride79CTbride79 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I chose one dress for all my girls (pic in bio) and I kept it simple (strapless, empire waist, chiffon).  I wanted a dress that would compliment my dress and be flattering on a range of body types.  One of my BMs will also be heavily pregnant at the time of the wedding so I wanted a dress that would compliment her maternity dress too. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Dx w/PCOS 3/2011 | BFP 7/25/11 | EDD 4/3/12
    Dx w/IUGR 1/31/12 | C-section 2/7/12 @ 32 weeks
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image image image
  • Options
    jennylove810jennylove810 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went shopping with my girls - we were on the hunt for a Belsoie dress that I'd seen online but ended up not loving in person.  My future SIL spotted Bill Levkoff 525 and tried it on just for fun and it looked AMAZING on her.  The other girls tried it, liked it, I was happy with it, and that was that.
  • Options
    Vanessa630Vanessa630 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm also doing black, knee length.  At first, I thought I'd just pick a material or designer but I've changed my mind and decided to pick out a couple dresses and have them choose (maybe a halter and a strapless).  
    If you do end up choosing a dress that you think might be on the boring side, you can always pick out a bright color shoe for the girls to wear, just to give it that pop.  
    I love Bill Levkoff! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I brought my girls out and told them what color/length/material I liked.  They actually didn't want to pick the dresses, so I picked out all the short, chiffon Alfred Angelo dresses at the store and they split them up and tried them on.  They picked out the one they liked the best (they all liked the same one) and they picked between two shades of blue.  They did seem a little overwhelmed when I told them they could pick (plus they are more concerned about matching then I am!).
  • Options
    Vikki2payVikki2pay member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

All my girls had a request of no strapless, so I tried to find the best that would work for everyones body type and still flater and be comfy.  We all agreed and went and purchased them.

• Options
    Vanessa630Vanessa630 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_bridesmaid-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:1844e413-b711-45b6-b906-90b90c7866e9Post:f6bbf8b7-9808-4192-88b0-7d810b6ed7bc">Re: Bridesmaid Dress Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I brought my girls out and told them what color/length/material I liked.  They actually didn't want to pick the dresses, so I picked out all the short, chiffon Alfred Angelo dresses at the store and they split them up and tried them on.  They picked out the one they liked the best (they all liked the same one) and they picked between two shades of blue.  <strong>They did seem a little overwhelmed when I told them they could pick (plus they are more concerned about matching then I am!).</strong>
    Posted by jcbender0[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto!  I said that they could wear any silver shoe and one of my bridesmaids started rattling off all the different types of shoes in order to show that I should specify between peep toe vs. closed toe vs. strappy sandal</div>
  • Options
    starrbuk13starrbuk13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i just said "navy blue and knee length" and it all worked in the end.  
  • Options
    cmmosley81cmmosley81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was very easy as far as the dresses they all said one thing I need some sort of strap. I knew what the color would be and I wanted long so the girls didnt have to worry about big calfs.( All my girls are on the plus size) I brought my MOH with me and we found a dress that I saw in the Davids catalog that I loved and she tried it on. It was perfect and that is what we are going with. It is a little pricey for a one time dress but its under 200 which was what they all could do.
    60 Invitedimage Attendingimage Declinedimage Not Repliedimage RSVP Date September 15, 2011 image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i actually picked a dress the would flatter everyone instead of giving them a choice simply because i feel that it would've caused problems, so with choosing the dress myself i eliminated that.
    good luck
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I picked a designer based on colors swatches that I saw in the store that most closely matched what color I wanted for my girls (Alfred Angelo - Lavender).  Then I told them they could pick any style they wanted....I wanted my MOH to stand out, so she will have a floor-length style and the BMs/Junior BM will have tea-length/knee length
    "I don't know how it gets better than this. You take my hand and lead me head first - Fearless"
    Anniversary

Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I started off a little different....I LOVE Bill Levkoff's dresses as a BM. The quality & look just didn't compare to any others that I have worn...so I took it from there. I knew I wanted a long dress with some sort of two toned style. I like a couple & them let my MOH pick which one she liked better. We also took into account the wide variety of shapes & sizes in our BP.

This is what we picked....the main color will be watermelon & the sash will be in black to tie in our colors.

~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • Options
    wrdgirlwrdgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My BMs are anywhere but in CT (one is in fact half way around the world) and since my wedding is going to more casual than formal I just told them the color I want and knee length and they can go and get whatever they want.  Price is usually the issue as they will be getting the dress themselves so whatever works for them.  Even any shade of the color is fine with me too :)

Oh I also asked them to send a picture to everyone before they buy so that they don't look completely different from everyone else.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Let's hear it for Bill Levkoff!! :)  I wanted only a Levkoff...as did my bridesmaids!  we chose #522  in Navy!  Everyone loved it, so we went with it! :)

Find something you like, see what your BMs think, and go with it.  I stressed and then my BMs sat me down and told me it was my decision ultimately and to take their opinions with a grain of salt.  However, I was lucky because they all loved the dress and how it fit and how forgiving it is!

Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I chose a bunch of dresses and then sent pictures of them to all the BM's and we narrowed it down to 2 choices. I wanted them all to be in the same dress because I think that photographs better, so we ended up choosing a loose fitting knee length dress that would also be cool enough to wear outdoors in the summer. They all were happy with the decision (7 girls of all different heights and sizes!) and they all said they were very comfortable in them so it worked out great. PIB of the dresses and in the background of my sig. The dress looked great on all the girls, big, small, tall, short, etc..
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I forgot to mention that my MOH wore the same dress as the other BM's but in reverse colors of the dress and sash so she would stand out as the MOH. We matched the best man to her dress so he stood out as the best man.
  • Options
    kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Bridesmaid Dress Help!:
    [QUOTE]Let's hear it for Bill Levkoff!! :)  I wanted only a Levkoff...as did my bridesmaids!  we chose #522  in Navy!  Everyone loved it, so we went with it! :) Find something you like, see what your BMs think, and go with it.  I stressed and then my BMs sat me down and told me it was my decision ultimately and to take their opinions with a grain of salt.  However, I was lucky because they all loved the dress and how it fit and how forgiving it is! Good Luck!
    Posted by sarahmraley[/QUOTE]

WOOOT WOOOT!!! Love his dresses!!!
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards