Connecticut

Everyone safe from Irene?

hope everyone made it through the storm ok with no severe damage!

Re: Everyone safe from Irene?

• edited December 2011
    We are safe! I am shocked because we live in Norwalk and one street over was evacuated. We even have power thank God :) Hope you are good!
  • edited December 2011
    Yes! Thank God.  Did not lose power....but my landline phone has been down for a couple of hours. 
  • edited December 2011
    We are ok and have power.  My parents, grandma, and brother all came over today to shower, have coffee, and such since they have been without power.  My brother is spending the night here since he was bored at home...lol.  Glad it wasn't worse for us.  Hope others are fairing as well.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Lost power yesterday at 8am...still no power and a flooded basement :(
  • Carebear62584Carebear62584 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our house and neighborhood are fine. Once you get out of our development the surrounding streets are a nightmare. My town and surrounding towns are at 100% without power. We lost it at 5:30am yesterday. We went to FI's parents house for a while last night to eat dinner and hang out since they had power. We were debating on staying the night but I at least wanted to shower so of course as soon as my hair was full of shampoo they lost power too. They went all day with it and lost it at 10pm. We ended up coming home. My brother never lost power in Middletown so my parents went there and spent the night. We are going to go there today for a while and at least shower and make something to eat. Oh yeah, did I mention we are supposed to get our epics done today? I emailed our photographer yesterday and they are going to let us know today based on damage at their 2nd house where their studio is. I'm hoping we can still do then because I think it will make for some cool pics and a definite memory.
  • jdboden73jdboden73 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thankfully we managed perfectly. Never lost power or other utilities and no storm damage. But so many of our family members and friends have been affected. my thuoghts and good wishes to all those with problems and hope the power comes back soon.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ali092011Ali092011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We lost power for about five minutes at 3:00 Sunday morning, but we had power the rest of the time. My sister, her husband, and their two year old son stayed with us, since they didn't have power and the have a lot of flooding on their street. What a LOOOONG two days with a two year old who wanted to go outside...

But we're so lucky to all be safe! I hope everyone else is doing okay.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    We're in Norwalk also (East Norwalk) and although many streets around us were flooded, we didn't lose power.  Fence panels, well those a whole other story!!  We lose the same ones everytime there's a big storm.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_everyone-safe-irene?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:1854b065-01e0-4ac4-8165-c652bfbe293dPost:cf53304f-4877-4d30-b0e1-4f2ac003f1f1">Re: Everyone safe from Irene?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're in Norwalk also (East Norwalk) and although many streets around us were flooded, we didn't lose power.  Fence panels, well those a whole other story!!  We lose the same ones everytime there's a big storm.
    Posted by elfitzpa[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>haha are you sure you don't live AT my house? I am in east norwalk too with the same fence panel problem.... the mobile was closed but the dunks in the mobile was open so I was a happy camper!</div>
  • edited December 2011
    Checking in from Madison! We're all okay down here - my area of the shoreline (Madison, Clinton, Westbrook, Old Saybrook, Essex, Deep River, Chester, Killingworth) pretty much has no power and there are trees down on the lines everywhere. We were lucky and had no significant damages. We got an automated message from our First Selectman that it could be up to 7-10 days before we get power back. Thankfully I have a car charger for my iPhone so that's how I'm able to update - hopefully you're all safe!
    "I don't know how it gets better than this. You take my hand and lead me head first - Fearless"
    Anniversary

Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_everyone-safe-irene?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:1854b065-01e0-4ac4-8165-c652bfbe293dPost:79d2eb60-9c75-47ba-a548-69198226ee48">Re: Everyone safe from Irene?</a>:
    [QUOTE]haha are you sure you don't live AT my house? I am in east norwalk too with the same fence panel problem.... the mobile was closed but the dunks in the mobile was open so I was a happy camper!
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]

The Hour's twitter feed was full of updates on which restaurants were open.  We're right by Partner's and they were PACKED with lots of people driving up for take-out, too.
  • edited December 2011
    We lost power yesterday morning around 6:00 and haven't had it back since... I'm actually on the work computer. You know, you truly don't appreciate how much you use electricity until you lose it...

On another note, our condo complex looks like it's been hit by a tornado! We have massive trees uprooted, taking the grass and land with it. They're just laying all over!
    Visit The Knot! Visit Connecticut.Weddings.com Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    We lost power all of yesterday and just got it back at 5:30 this morning.  No major damage to our condo complex, but the streets surrpunding us are another story!
    imageMoo Moo Kitten is resting... Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • cdbishopcdbishop member
    edited December 2011

Glad to hear there isn't too much damage.  I live in Boston and we lost power for about 12 hours but nothing too bad.  My family lives in Guilford and they said there have no power and none is expected for a few days.  I feel bad as my sister has a 3 yr old and a 1.5 yr old, I'm sure staying inside yesterday with no power was probably hard.  At least it is nice out now. 

• edited December 2011
    I'm at my fiance's house but at my house in New Fairfield there hasn't been power since I think Saturday night. I also teach at a private school in Stamford and today was supposed to be our first day but it was cancelled. I heard they don't expect power back for days so who knows when we'll be back.
  • rswan412rswan412 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're safe, lots of trees down and 2 fires in Killingly (town we live in), but no power until who knows when...going on 36 hours now. Charging up everything at work and taking advantage of what little internet time I have!!!
  • Mona8Mona8 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We lost power at 8a.m. yesterday and just got it back a couple hours ago. They were saying it might be a week until we got it back so I'm really happy with how soon we actually got it back.
    There were trees down everywhere but everyone is safe. My parents still don't have power though and my dad is currently in a line at Home Depot waiting for a generator. Keep your fingers crossed for him!
    imageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    There is a lot of damage around our town, but our street seems pretty good.  Lots of small branches and leaves everywhere in our yard, but that's it.  We lost power at 4:30am Sunday morning and it came back at 4pm on Sunday, which blew my mind and I am sooo thankful.  We always lose power so I knew it was coming, but we live right near a fire station so I have a feeling that we were in the priority zone.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker kayleigh-3-1 Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We were very lucky no real damage but my in-laws are not so lucky and they live a mile from us. They had trees and power lines fall right in front of their house and when they did the power lines back fed into their house and blew out all of their electrical appliances. Fridge, dishwasher, televisions etc and caused a live fire in between the bathroom wall as it burned up an electrical socket in the bathroom and turned the walls completely black. The worst part was when they called the fire dept to come as their bathroom was on fire they couldn't get to them as their neighborhood was destroyed and there were live wires and trees down on all ways in. So the had to try and get the fire put out until the fire dept could come in on foot. What a nightmare! now they are without power until they can have an electrician come and fix everything and then have the power company restore power to the area!!
    imageAnniversary Vacation
  • kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Just got power back this morning! THANK GOD! But we are all safe!
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Survived! Got power back last night, though my guy's job still has no power =[ 

Saw a photo of the Farmington Club... it was under water! I feel terribly for anyone who had there booked it for their wedding venue (or for any celebration) in the upcoming future
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I saw the Farmington Club :(

Here are some unbelievable aeial pictures from The Hartford Courant
    http://www.courant.com/community/farmington/hc-aerial-view-of-connecticut-damage-01-0829,0,5020826.htmlpage
    Visit The Knot! Visit Connecticut.Weddings.com Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • rswan412rswan412 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yuck...still no power here :( It's a mess in the "quiet corner" of CT!
  • Carebear62584Carebear62584 member
    edited December 2011
    We just got power back last night. We were at FI's aunts house because she made mass amounts if tacos and had everyone over. I was constantly checking my Facebook because our town was staying at 100% without power and it finally changed right before we left to go there. My neighbors started posting we had it and it went out again so we waited a while and came home around 11 to power. It was so exciting... waters edge is supposed to get it back today so hopefully I'll be able to go to work this afternoon. We still dont have cable though. I'm going to try to call comcast to see what they say. My parents may come stay with us tonight if they still don't have power because they've been at my brother and gf's apartment the last 3 nights sleepingbom couches. At least here they can have a bed....or 2 if they want. And if you were wondering....we did get our e-pics done on Monday. We went to wadsworth falls. We went to the little beachy part first then to the falls which were insane! Then we went to a spot at Wesleyan and then downtown Middletown. Let me just say, Jerome Braga is amazing to work with. We were kinda hesitant at the beginning of the photo shoot bc we didn't really know what to expect or how to act and Jerome helped facilitate. By the end things came pretty natural. I can't wait to see pics. He showed us a few awesome ones on the camera but he's without power too so he's going to be backed up a little bit. I'm hoping he puts a few teasers up on Facebook.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards