Connecticut
Options

I wished I asked my florist....(fill in the blank)

Tell me what I need to ask my florist before booking! I am going to start setting up consultations and I'm clueless! Also recommendations are always welcome, but I'm hoping to stay local to southeastern CT. (And I've checked into Just for You but our order is not large enough to include free delivery so I think I'm going to pass.)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I wished I asked my florist....(fill in the blank)

• Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As we seem to be vendor twins, check out Christine at Azalea Floral Designs.  Love her!

Ask how vendors deal with flower requests that aren't in season, or if a batch comes in wilted?  What if it's the day before, how will they deal?

Ask about whether they rent their containers or if you can/should supply them.  Sometimes it's cheaper to buy them yourself!

Anniversary

• Options
    jennylove810jennylove810 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wish I'd asked EXACTLY how big my bouquet was going to be (it ended up being much smaller than I anticipated.  At the moment I didn't mind, but in hindsight it was very disappointing.)

I wish I'd known enough about "filler" greens to request something that wouldn't make my BMs' flowers & centerpieces look like Christmas arrangements for my early October wedding (red roses & green fern-y things looked very Christmassy)

That's pretty much it.  Get the specifics on size, and know exactly what's going into your arrangements.

HTH!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used Christine from Azalea as well and I loved her. She provided awesome stuff and we were really happy.

Ask what flowers she will sub in if something happens to what she would have originally used. There was a sub flower used that we hated even though it looks the same.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I live in the SE area, where are you looking for flowerss???
  • Options
    Mona8Mona8 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are they familiar with you ceremony and reception location?

What types of flowers would they suggest given your wedding colors, budget, and time of year?

How far in advance will they make the bouquets and centerpieces?

Will they personally be the florist for your wedding?

Will you be able to see a sample bouquet and centerpiece beforehand?

How many other weddings or events do they usually do on a weekend in [month you're getting married]?

Is it possible to reuse the ceremony flowers as reception decorations?
    -If so, then will they transport them, or will you need to?

What is the payment schedule like?
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    Oh, I'd also ask if they've worked with your caterer. The one wedding we crashed to check out the caterer had a florist he'd never worked with before, and thus she didn't bring any filler flowers for things like serving trays and food tables. He told me the good florists will do that even if it's not on your contract - we're not talking bouquets or arrangements, just greens and small flowers to use elsewhere. Ask to see a mock-up, whether it's a small centerpiece or a small bouquet, to make sure they get your vision.

Anniversary

• Options
    TBee99TBee99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the advice ladies, keep 'em coming!

Here's our long list right now (hoping to narrow it down to 4 or 5 this weekend and then book consultations):

Stylish Blooms BRISTOL
    Candi's Floral Creations NORTH BRANFORD
    A Gala Affair STONINGTON
    Morning Glories Flower Shop OLD LYME
    Bridal Party Flowers MYSTIC
    Flowers By Michael GROTON
    Azalea Floral Design FARMINGTON (thanks calindi!)
    Flora Flora MYSTIC
    Seaflowers Expressions ESSEX
    Rosanna's Flowers WESTERLY
    The Essex Flower Shoppe & Greenhouse
    Wild Orchid Flowers MIDDLETOWN
    Montville Florist
    And Stop and Shop (per mother's request!) :P

Some aren't local but we have heard good things about them!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Theres also Inspired Designs out of westerly.. You can find her on facebook with some of the designs shes created.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic This is Darla and Chester. Darla is the black and white basset and Chester is the tan and black basset. Image and video hosting by TinyPic This is Emma kitty Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    Candi did wonderful work, but just know she is a heavy smoker.  My Mom went to her studio and was nearly blown out the door by the cigarette smoke.  We're very, very sensitive to it, so that was a breaking point for us for sure.

I forget who you have as a caterer - are you the other Branford House bride with Emily's Catering?  If so, he works with Christine at Azalea all the time - that's how we actually heard about Emily's was from Christine, and then Emily's referred us back to Christine as their favorite florist.  They work very well together!

Anniversary

• Options
    TBee99TBee99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    kallen1002- I can't seem to find her, do you have a link?
    calindi- Good to know about Candi, we will take her off the list because we are not smokers eithier. We are actually using Ivy's Simply Homemade out of Waterford.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Vikki2payVikki2pay member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_wished-asked-floristfill-blank?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:2c80eb4e-691a-4aaa-b6e2-f48ccd4144f0Post:285d53f9-1567-444e-a6e9-dda06d73170b">Re: I wished I asked my florist....(fill in the blank)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for all the advice ladies, keep 'em coming! Here's our long list right now (hoping to narrow it down to 4 or 5 this weekend and then book consultations): Stylish Blooms BRISTOL Candi's Floral Creations NORTH BRANFORD A Gala Affair STONINGTON Morning Glories Flower Shop OLD LYME Bridal Party Flowers MYSTIC Flowers By Michael GROTON Azalea Floral Design FARMINGTON (thanks calindi!) Flora Flora MYSTIC Seaflowers Expressions ESSEX Rosanna's Flowers WESTERLY The Essex Flower Shoppe & Greenhouse Wild Orchid Flowers MIDDLETOWN Montville Florist And <strong>Stop and Shop (per mother's request!) :P </strong>Some aren't local but we have heard good things about them!
    Posted by TBee99[/QUOTE]

My florist is now working in Stop& Shop.  She sold her shop. she wasn't making enough money but still wanted to work, so she's at S&S know.  So you never know what you'll find there.  It never hurts to talk to them.
  • Options
    Which Stop and Shop?
  • Options
    Melissa from Stylish Blooms was absolutely amazing. Hands down she helped create such an amazing wedding for us. Not only did she "just" do our flowers she actually helped to create an amazing vision and platform for our wedding planning.
    -She was very realistic where as many of the other florists we worked with weren't about our flower choices depending upon the time of the year. Melissa was very upfront about how certain flowers hold up during different weather.
    -If you book with Melissa she has TONS of vases, lanterns, just a lot of really great flower vesicles. Talk to her first before you purchase anything. Don't always assume that your going to save money by purchasing your own items, see what she has first to use. One less thing for you to worry about.

Good Luck!!
  • Options
    This thread is quite old...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards